NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

TS 70ED Carbon Tube

Hi,

Has any used the scope mentioned above? It looks pretty good to me, I'm after a little ED frac to take to Portugal with me with the NEQ6, and this looks good, triplets are too expensive for me at the moment. Any other alternative under £400?

Cam

I have two of them, one a mounted top scope on the LX. They are pretty good and were well priced when I got mine at I believe 279 E and one on offer at 219E, though that was a while ago. The finish it very good and the focuser is much better than I thought it was going to be. I have used the scope upto X140 and it still sharp but with a very slight CA at the edges of field on bright objects and around Venus. Mine came in nice little cases but I always feel there is better to be had for a little more. With a budget of 400 I would look at other models.

I don't know what the price of one is now but personally I would buy an 80mm scope, the difference in weight is a none issue.

Alan   

I have two of them, one a mounted top scope on the LX. They are pretty good and were well priced when I got mine at I believe 279 E and one on offer at 219E, though that was a while ago. The finish it very good and the focuser is much better than I thought it was going to be. I have used the scope upto X140 and it still sharp but with a very slight CA at the edges of field on bright objects and around Venus. Mine came in nice little cases but I always feel there is better to be had for a little more. With a budget of 400 I would look at other models.

I don't know what the price of one is now but personally I would buy an 80mm scope, the difference in weight is a none issue.

Alan

They are £329 new now, with the case etc. what would you recommend for £400?

Cam

Not fast enough :p and carbon fibre looks nice :p

They are also big and clumsy for being an ED80...non slideable dewshield and tube size the same as for the ED100 makes it a scope much bigger than it needs to be.

The 70mm EDQ seems to be a good scope, here's a nice image taken with one:

3ec982f7ba83f2ca1bd20269f11ebdc7.1824x0_

They are also big and clumsy for being an ED80...non slideable dewshield and tube size the same as for the ED100 makes it a scope much bigger than it needs to be.

The 70mm EDQ seems to be a good scope, here's a nice image taken with one:

3ec982f7ba83f2ca1bd20269f11ebdc7.1824x0_

That's a nice pic, nice widefield. I'm also looking at the 6" GSO RC with reducer to f6

Cam

Just bought myself an Altair Astro Lightwave ED 66 ED-R. Attracted by the f/400mm

for wide® field video astronomy and light weight for mounting atop other scopes. ;)

It is claimed these are essentially an [FLP51 ED] Equinox 66 (optically). :p

(The ED 72 ED-R is apparently a "Williams Optics Megrez 72" etc. etc.)

Whatever (FLP-51 or FLP-53 glass),I am very happy with my new scope!

Unless you are very unlucky, generic(?) semi-APOs are a "good thing"?  :)

I am just about to give my ancient (much abused) Skywatcher ST102 a

"carbon fibre" (sticky backed) "upgrade" though. C-F scopes do look... :cool:

Archived