NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Very cheap XW's on ABS.

Chris,

The 6.7mm UWA Meade is nice though very close to what you have. They did a 4.7mm UWA and I had the ExSc version recently on test, for 120 Euro as it was at the time, cracking eyepiece, how I could say the 5mm Pentax XW was better at 3 times the price I don't know, but I did. I am going to have to add the 7mm XW one of these days.

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yes those ES82's are wonderful for the money. I've had the 8.8, 11, and 14mm versions and they worked really well in my f/6 at the time. Literally the only thing I don't like about them is the tight porthole view, the Luminos feel more open to see the full 82 degrees, but the ES optics and build are top notch.

I do have a lovely set of SLV's going down to 5mm so all these thoughts of more EP's is just pure greed :rolleyes:  :grin:  

Congrats Shaun ! :) Sometimes it's nice to buy the odd thing from new, and it's probably not the kind of eyepiece that's going to be easily beaten so you might have it for years :) 

I did similar recently, missed a second hand SkyTee so decided to buy new from FLO, I knew I would be keeping it the first time I used it. 

Chris I have only ever bought 2 eyepieces second hand and 2 scopes, 1 of the scopes has gone and 1 of the eyepieces has gone, the other eyepiece is the 14mm XW which I will keep :smiley: the scope I have kept is the 150mm SCT which I bought for higher mag lunar.

I do prefer new as a rule. However, 99% of astronomy folk are very genuine so purchasing second hand gear is a lot less of a risk

Shaun,

There is still a 5mm Nagler on ABS, search Nagler, it has been up for sale for about 3 months at 165, do what I did make an offer, if he wants to sell it, try 150, it will be worth every penny of that. I had to pay a bit more because the post to me is about 14 quid for signed for.

I bought my 9mm new and I think I only did an eyepiece test with it against the 8.8mm Meade and never used it since, I must be more careful with my money.

Alan. 

Alan,

I find any eyepiece with more than 70degrees gives quite serious PC in the scopes I have.

PC for some reason makes me dizzy when star hopping and to compound it once I know it is there I cant ignore it. As a result I have opted to stick within this 70 degree boundary. I have even had to give up the idea of 100% FOV for this reason.

Thank you very much for the encouragement and assistance, it is very much appreciated :grin:

Chris I have only ever bought 2 eyepieces second hand and 2 scopes, 1 of the scopes has gone and 1 of the eyepieces has gone, the other eyepiece is the 14mm XW which I will keep :smiley: the scope I have kept is the 150mm SCT which I bought for higher mag lunar.

I do prefer new as a rule. However, 99% of astronomy folk are very genuine so purchasing second hand gear is a lot less of a risk

Come to think about it all three of my mounts, my Lunt 35, and a couple of my EP's were bought new, it's nice to support the industry :)

Come to think about it all three of my mounts, my Lunt 35, and a couple of my EP's were bought new, it's nice to support the industry :)

The industry won't like me - all my stuff was bought used :embarrassed:

I could not afford anywhere near what I've got if I'd bought it new in all honesty.

I'm glad some folks do buy new stuff through. The used maket would be rather static otherwise.

Archived