Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

dual axis motor connection? RJ45?

I've posted about this before, but it bears repeating as it can be confusing...

The "RJ" designations actually refer not only to the type of connector, but also the number of connected conductors (and in fact the purpose for which the connector is used).  There are a number of designations that include the same six-way connector (including RJ11 and RJ12), but have different numbers of pins connected.  RJ11 strictly only needs two connections but often what are advertised as RJ11 cables have four (which I think is actually RJ twenty-something).  RJ12 should have all six connected.  Sometimes you also see them listed as 6P2C (six position, two conductor), 6P4C (four conductor) or 6P6C (six conductor).

I can't recall which is required off the top of my head and I'm not sure where my handset or motors are at the moment as I've heavily modded my EQ3-2 now, but I'd have confidence in Steve's suggestion.

James

Hmmm, well...

I've found my handset (with my 14" mirror blank; where else?) and it only has four-pin connectors which would be 4P4C, or sometimes RJ10.  If others are also saying that RJ12 works with your motors though perhaps I've got the wrong end of the stick.

James

Oh, I hate the RJ specification.  It has been subverted from its original use and new non-standard numbers made up to fill in gaps where there was originally no need for such a connector and it's all ended up a total mess that serves more to confuse than enlighten.

James

The only cables I can find that look like they would fit are telephone handset cables which are all "curly".  I hate them because they inevitably end up getting tangled, but you can at least get them in quite decent lengths.

James

Archived