Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Cleaning mirror

Morning everyone,

It's been a few weeks since I've been on this site.

I've had a bit of a disaster - the main bolt that holds my HEQ5 pro mount to the pillar decided to strip out the thread to the mount. 

I wondered why I suddenly lost the Moon while observing, suddenly there was a creaking sound and I just managed to catch the whole set up from crashing to the floor.  :eek:

Very heavy and difficult to disconnect everything while in the dark, but at least no damage to scope etc.

I've managed to cut a new thread and everything is ok.

My question is this, while I'm out of action I've decided to gently clean the mirrors, what type of water should I use - distilled or Ionized or are they the same thing ???

Thanks

Lee 

HI Lee,

They are definitely not the same thing, you need distilled water and it is possible to buy this on line, as I did.

Cleaning a mirror is quite easy so long as you plan it and take your time.There will be plenty of threads on SGL.

to help, but if you need any more advice just post it. 

Good luck and glad you saved the telescope ! :smiley:

Thanks Steve,

I always check, and if necessary, collimate before a session.

Just decided that while the scope is off the mount that I'd give mirrors a gentle wash. 

Just wasn't too sure what type of water as Halfords seems to sell Ionized water for car batteries.

Lee

Hi Lee,

Well done for the reflexes in catching your kit, don't worry has happened to us all.. First mounted my lx200, I watched in slow motion as the tube rotated and hit the grass.

Mirror cleaning. If you really want to do so, plenty of guides here and on youtube. BUT unless there is a foot of dust follow:-

1. Make cup of tea.

2. Think about cleaning mirror.

3. If Thirsty goto step 1.

If you do wash the mirror then take care when re-fitting to the mirror housing so as not to over tighen the screws holding the primary clips in.  I did this when cleaning mine and ended up with triangular stars.......

Archived