Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Stacking AVI's in registax6

Hi all,

this may be a bit of a dumb question but how long a video would you recommend for conversion and stacking in Registax? The other night I recorded about 30s worth in .mov of the moon with my Canon DSLR on 1080p 24fps, totalling about 800 frames. When I converted it into avi and stacked in using Registax, there was no noticeable improvement in image quality compared to as single photo taken in RAW and converted to jpeg. Do I need to take longer recordings to get more frames before it becomes likely to give a significant improvement? Or am I doing something else wrong?

Any and all suggestions gratefully received. I've included the stacked image and a single photo taken on the same night for comparison:

single image 1st -

and stacked 2nd -

Thanks all....

post-37442-0-85138800-1433362103_thumb.j

post-37442-0-81429500-1433362134_thumb.j

What processing have you applied to your stacked image? For example, did you try the wavelet function in Registax to sharpen your image?

I'll be honest and say I didn't. I'll give that a try and see what happens. I'm still rather new to all this AP stuff so experiments with the moon and planets are where I'm starting before moving on to DSO's.

Thanks,

Well, don't treat one method as a stepping stone to the other. The techniques used may not overlap as much as you think neither does the kit required to much extent. I started with DSOs and dabble with planetary and recently solar. For me, the enjoyment comes in learning each specific method and improving on it but they are all different. You can see my efforts on my Flickr link (below). Good luck.

Something else to consider is the imaging resolution. In video mode the Canon 100d shoots at 1920x1080 whereas in still image mode the maximum resolution is 5184x3456. The still image would give a little more detail., so it might be better to take a small number of full resolution still images and stack them rather than a video.

Archived