Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Webcam Collimation Adapter

I think you will need to take the external casing off to get it to fit, as for it then been collimated, good question, do we know that the lens is central in the body of the camera? if its not then it will be a fun task.

The toucam with 1.25 nose piece was the easy choice but they fetch silly money..

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The toucam with 1.25 nose piece was the easy choice but they fetch silly money..

yeah, would a xbox camera be a better idea?

Edit. ah no as thats a lens replacment fit

Humm dunno ask Dion LOL

Actually , you need to start by removing the secondary and placing a marker on the opposite side of the focus tube to check focuser accuracy, I suppose the camera does not have to be 'in-line'  only as long as you can see all the important edges, you can then use shapcap cross hair and place the outer & inner circles over the draw tube end and check secondary if the doughnut doesn't match its out, having the camera dictate the collimation is going to bring in all sorts of other issues..

So if the camera is tilted its no big deal?

Actually , you need to start by removing the secondary and placing a marker on the opposite side of the focus tube to check focuser accuracy, I suppose the camera does not have to be 'in-line'  only as long as you can see all the important edges, you can then use shapcap cross hair and place the outer & inner circles over the draw tube end and check secondary if the doughnut doesn't match its out, having the camera dictate the collimation is going to bring in all sorts of other issues..

So if the camera is tilted its no big deal?

Errr..

Refractor ;)

I think you stand a passable chance of getting the Lifecam reasonably aligned with the optical axis.  With an Xbox camera you either have to remove the lens to fit a nosepiece, or glue/fix something to the front of the case, which is harder to get close to true.

When I modded mine I left the circular rear section of the camera (that the USB cable passes through) in place.  That effectively wedges the rear of the camera centrally in the eyepiece body.  The front has an O-ring between the inner camera body and the inside of the eyepiece (just visible in my photo).  I've never checked, but it looks pretty central to me.

By comparison, I have modded an Xbox camera by epoxying a 1.25" tube to the front and that was a real sod to get central.

James

Archived