Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

SOLAR observing with a 12" DOB.......

I would like to hear from you Solar Observers... I am wondering what SOLAR FILTER gives the most pleasing views.... With the amount of detail that I can see on the Moon... (just incredible) .... I am sure that SOLAR images would also be outstanding as well...

Mark

Thx for any ideas... my prior SOLAR VIEWING experience was with a C90 some years back

If I recall there are basically 2 available here the Baader and Thousand Oaks.

The Baader tends to be "White" the Thousand Oaks seems to be more "Yellow".

You may find problems getting a piece big enough for a 12" dobsonian - if making your own. The Baader sheets here are generally A4, about Letter, sheet in size. Meaning you may have to purchase a pre-made one. If the dobsonian is not a solid tube - Truss - then I am not sure as any light from the sun creeping round the front could be dangerous.

Be very wary of the eyepeice  screw on filters with a reflector ... very dangerous, probably safest bet would be some Baader film over the small 2" hole on the scope cover.

A 12" mirror is going to send a lot of heat / light towards the eyepiece any other way in my opinion.

Make a Baader filter of about 4"-5" diameter and put it off axis so the light from the Sun passes between the secondary vanes.  If you have an open tube or  truss type scope you will also need a decent cover to prevent any accidents due to the Sun being reflected off axis whilst lining up.  Also cover or remove any finderscope.

Make sure you get the Baader ND 5.0 grade of filter as that is suitable for visual observing as well as imaging.

12" is more than you need for solar obs. I would make an off axis filter using an A4 sheet of baader solar filter film/foil, as large a circle as you can fit between the spider vanes - I don't know if companies sell 12" filters. You can get larger sheets of filter film than a4 but its £50 a sheet.

Make a Baader filter of about 4"-5" diameter and put it off axis so the light from the Sun passes between the secondary vanes.  If you have an open tube or  truss type scope you will also need a decent cover to prevent any accidents due to the Sun being reflected off axis whilst lining up.  Also cover or remove any finderscope.

Make sure you get the Baader ND 5.0 grade of filter as that is suitable for visual observing as well as imaging.

+ 1 from me, off axis and care is the way :smiley:

Archived