Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Which spotting scope

bomberbaz

Hello again all and I hope you dont mind my flurry of questions I am bombarding you with, hopefully I am near to decision time (this means spending money also :grin: )

When I decided that a finder scope would be the way forward, I didnt consider how to mount this, At first I thought about utilising an existing mini dob and putting this at the mount pivot point but then came the issue of aligning, the option that was available of the market was this from FLO  http://www.firstlightoptics.com/guide-cameras/skywatcher-guidescope-mount.html  ingenious but expensive and also requires drilling and fitting etc.

Then I thought about using a finder scope bracket akin tio this http://www.rothervalleyoptics.co.uk/antares-quick-release-finderscope-brackets.html  and slapping a cheap 70mm travel scope in it but I couldnt find one that would accept a 70mm ota.

So I have come to simply using a dedicated finder/guide scope as these are fully adjustable and also will mount onto existing shoe and are lightweight. So which does anyone use/prefer or does anybody have an alternative to this?

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Orion-Mini-50mm-Guide-Scope/dp/B004SFUO9U/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1433060261&sr=1-1&keywords=50mm+telescope

http://www.365astronomy.com/ZWO-60mm-Finder-and-Guide-Scope-60280.html

As I say, this is the last bit of the jigsaw but also the most expensive bit. 

Thanks again all for putting up with my many questions  :laugh:

As a guide scope the ST-80 works very well, as a finder scope i gave up and got a Telrad.....

Once set-up you wouldn't want to keep changing it to a Finder scope, my ST-80 act like a finder scope as its aligned with the main scope so whats in the centre of the PHD screen is in the centre of my Camera Sensor, i use the CdC to slew then center on the PHD screen then sync, don't have to get off my chair.......

DSC_0845.jpg

Some great (and for me, currently pertinent!) questions. So, randomly...

Recently, I came into a (modest!) amount of "retirement dosh", so was looking

for a small "APO" for wide® fields... I bought an Altair Astro Lightwave 66-R. :)

But I am now very conscious that these "small" APOs are quite chunky beasts!

I did also buy the Skywatcher Guide Scope Mount you mention...

A fine THING! But retropectively it will require some "skilled" work?

Quite *heavy* atop either my 8"/F4 or MAK150 for an HEQ5 too. :o

As ever, a "minor" upgrade necessitates a significant rethink! lol

For now, I'll live dangerously and extend the HEQ5 weight shaft. :p

Video Astronomy is a little more forgiving than "classical" imaging!

As a guide scope the ST-80 works very well, as a finder scope i gave up and got a Telrad.....

I should point out that once the scope is aligned using a red dot finder, this proposed new finder/guide scope will be linked to PC via webcam and be used as as either a video finder or for wider field views of larger dso's. Similar to how yours appears to be setup 

One of the guys converted a finder scope and fitted a camera to the rear of it..ln300 I think..could just fit a camera with a cctv lens to the format you require. .. wideview to zoom lens good option and with a ln300 lots of intregration as well

One of the guys converted a finder scope and fitted a camera to the rear of it..ln300 I think..could just fit a camera with a cctv lens to the format you require. .. wideview to zoom lens good option and with a ln300 lots of intregration as well

cheers for that, one of the scopes integrates to become a camara telephoto lens, however for now I will just try with the webcam. 

Hello Steve,

I use the Guidescope mount from FLO and it works great for my setup but I think it would be a tad heavy for your scope.  The more you put on the top the more you will have to counter down the bottom.  I think the Orion 50mm looks best for you and then just add a small Mallincam Miro or LN300.  As fopr alignment, I use a red laser pointer which the camera picks up really well as it's infra red.  This allows me to to the alignment remotely which is useful during the night as if I find my goto is off I just start again from my office.  

Here is is attached to my finder scope

post-28683-0-91708400-1433070125_thumb.j

I also added a remote control to this so I can switch it on and off from my office.

Cheers

Karl

Archived