Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Where Have I Gone Wrong?

I made the mistake of changing lots of things at once last night, and was rewarded with pretty useless results:

With x2 Barlow

Not Very Good

With x5 Barlow

Rubbish

Can anyone suggest what is likely to be the reason from looking at the image (PIPP, AS!2, Registax)

Light pollution - this was in the front garden, but my image of Saturn from 10 days earlier was hugely better than this.

Using tracking - to me this seemed to work very well, kept the image more or less in the right place and didn't seem to create any vibration.

IR filter in different place - Struggling with where to put the IR filter I moved it to the front of the webcam. This would have the effect of moving the webcam about 7mm further from the barlow lens.

Different Sharpcap settings - I tried changing the colour balance because of the obvious red cast.

Different computer - I notice this computer doesn't display images colour balanced very well compared to my desktop/old PC, but this shouldn't affect saved video...?

Using cheap x5 barlow - except that the results of using my x2 barlow were just as bad, and looking through the eyepiece it seemed OK.

Over Kitchen extension - possible that there was even a plume from a central heating boiler although the image looked steadier than usual.

Poor focus - I always worry that I am focusing badly, but never this badly before, and I spent ages getting the best possible on-screen images.

Bad seeing -- but the screen image was steady and the sky was clear (most of the time).

I'm no expert so I don't expect perfection, but the results from every single session I have had before (about 10) have been significantly better that this, with much more detail coming out on processing.

Focus can be very difficult with the planet dancing around in the turbulence.

I use a Bahtinov mask to set focus on a star, then move to the planet.

Did you use wavelets in Registax to enhance detail?

Focus can be very difficult with the planet dancing around in the turbulence.

I use a Bahtinov mask to set focus on a star, then move to the planet.

Did you use wavelets in Registax to enhance detail?

I'm p[retty sure there wasn't a lot of turbulence. i used registax (and tried Astra). My avatar is an example of what II usually get and I hoped to do much better now I could have thousands of frames instead of hundreds to choose from :-(

Almost certainly down to the seeing conditions and/or struggling to find focus.    The 150PL is F8/1200mm native - the 5x would give you F40/6000mm.   Even in exceptional conditions this is probably too much with the small pixels (3um?) on this camera.

Near perfect conditions this evening. I have spent ages playing with sharpcap settings, and seem to have re-found a 'sweet spot' that reduces the noise. Spent ages focusing I knew things were getting better when I could see the red spot on the computer screen. I then tried out my homebrew bhatinov mask on arcturus - well it does make things easier. Got several 2-minute runs to compare:

Jupiter x1, x2, x5 (plus one run with manual focus at x2)

Lunar surface at x5

Lunar surface at x2 (which I KNOW will be good)

And I remembered a dark!

Saturn is up, but it will be an hour or more before I can point a scope at it, so time to try some processing.

Archived