Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Eyepieces for planetary use other than Orthos and Plossls

Thanks Chris, have you directly compared them to the Delos and Radian EPs? I am interested in the short focal lengths from about 8mm down to 3/3.5mm

Regards,

Simon

Hi, I've now received a second hand 14mm Radian so I'll be able to give some kind of comparison at some point :)

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

John,

I noticed just looking at your link to the 4mm that it only has a 45 degree FOV, I thought the SLV range was 52 degrees, did I mis-read you review?

Alan

I think Tring Astro have got it wrong Alan. The earlier Vixen LV and NLV versions did provide 45 degrees but that was increased by 5 degrees in the SLV's. The 6, 12.5 and 20mm SLV's that I was sent for review certainly seemed to match the Tele Vue plossls in this respect.

I have both the LV, NLV and also the SLV & NPL and can confirm all have 50 degree FOV. I would also say that pound for pound, they are amongst the best EP's out there. 

Steve

6mm and below have 45 Degree, the rest have 50 -> http://www.vixenoptics.co.uk/Pages/slv_eyepieces.htm

Well the 6mm Vixen SLV that I had on loan for around 6 months definitely had a 50 degree AFoV. The figures in that table seem to correspond to the specs of the earlier NLV range. I wonder if the data has become muddled up ?

The main Vixen website implies a consistent 50 degrees for the SLV's:

http://www.vixenoptics.com/acc/slv_eyepieces.html

There is a link to an interesting review on the SLV's from that web page as well :smiley:

Strange controversial stats there from the provider. I can't see why the fov should be lower on the shorter focal Ep,s . Seems to be opposite to what I would expect or am I missing something. ?

The older NLV range did have a slightly smaller FoV in the shorter focal lengths. The LV range that came before those was similar. The SLV's seem to offer a consistent FoV across the range.

Maybe Vixen have confused themselves ? :smiley:

• 3 weeks later...

Looks like the wild guess is not that far off?

This is true, well guessed :) The ES100's are super eyepieces in the C8 Edge, but I've just sold the C8 to fund a lathe and tooling so I'm thinking the ES100's wont get much use in the foreseeable future. Most my remaining scopes have 1.25" focusers and I'm enjoying binoviewing more now days.

I might use the money to buy a nice objective lens for a refractor build I've been planning :)   

Archived