Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Three galaxies.

ollypenrice

Highlights from a visual night last night were three galaxies, two of which I don't recall observing before, though I've imaged them both. The first was the one armed spiral, NGC 4725 ( http://ollypenrice.smugmug.com/Other/Best-of-Les-Granges/i-BCbNkR4/0/X3/NGC4725%20LRGB%2011HRS%20WEB4-X3.jpg) For some reason I'd expected this to be unrewarding visually but it was remarkably large and bright. The larger companion was also easy.

The other was the Blackeye. ( http://ollypenrice.smugmug.com/Other/Best-of-Les-Granges/i-p5JCSFT/0/X3/M64%20LRGB%205Hrs%20WEB%20CROP-X3.jpg) Another big bright one in the Dob, the dark curved structure which embraces half the inner core was easy.

Finally the Whale was a bit of a treat. That I have observed before quite often. I don't know why I have overlooked the others for so long, though. Too much imaging!  :grin:

20 inch Dob, F4.1, TV 26 Nagler and 13 Ethos. SQM 21.6. Windy and unseasonably cold!

Olly

PS The Sky Quality Meter was a present from two kind guests. I've never had my own before, relying on others to have them in their pockets! It's a brilliant bit of kit.

Nice report Olle, excellent photos as always. :smiley:

4725 was the last of the I bagged, early last month with C8 in mag 21.0 sky, averted vision only. This shows the difference of both aperture and sky condition. The neighboring galaxies 4712 and 4747 is on my list next year.

Nice report Olle, excellent photos as always. :smiley:

4725 was the last of the I bagged, early last month with C8 in mag 21.0 sky, averted vision only. This shows the difference of both aperture and sky condition. The neighboring galaxies 4712 and 4747 is on my list next year.

Might give those a go too. Quite faint though at mag 12.8 and 12.4 respectively (a doddle with Sir Isaac from Olly's place on a good night). Fairly compact so the surface brightness might be good enough

20" form a dark site! These are bright rewarding targets from my ruralish back garden. They must have been splendid.

Did you pick up the Whale's edge on companion NGC4656? They make a particularly pleasing pair in my book.

Paul

Good point. I had assumed that long and thin was likely to be edge on. They are both listed as Spirals. The my eye (and much smaller scope). The Whale is the lumpy bumpy one of the two. Definitely a favourite that takes magnification well.

Paul

Archived