Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

NGC 7000 - The North American Nebula

Droogie 2001

This is my first attempt at the North American nebula and have not had that much time to process it as this was worked on at 2.30am this morning :shocked:

15 subs of 240 secs @ ISO 800.

I started the session off without a LP filter attached. After one shot it was clear that this was not going to work as the histogram did not have any red channel data so had to quickly switch some parts over and began imaging again. No major time loss.
Conditions were good despite the odd bit of light cloud half way through the session.

Have to say I am very pleased that I have managed to capture plenty of nebulosity and that the Pelican Nebula is visible up in the top right hand corner. My other recent thread was my first use of a modified camera and there was a little bit of concern of the lack of nebulosity, clearly the North American nebula is significantly brighter and a little higher in the sky. It was still only just 40 degrees up by the end of my session so still quite low. Thanks go out to 'Knight of the Clear Skies' for the suggestion!

As others have mentioned it certainly does not get dark until late now. I started this at midnight and even then it was still not that dark even by then.

NGC 7000 - The North American Nebula

post-31255-0-10270500-1432280634_thumb.j

Well done, good detail there, and you're welcome.

I find Axel Mellinger's 360 degree Milky Way panorama useful for planning shots as it shows the relative brightness of some large nebulae. After taking a few test shots I was able to work out which targets I could go after, and it's also handy for planning the framing of the shot.

Archived