NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Galaxies near M92 in Hercules

mdstuart

Lovely night when it finally got dark..

Observed a little group of disbursed galaxies up and right of M92...you know the other globular in Hercules.

So, I managed to enjoy NGC 6329 6332 6336 and 6323.. They all have a similar red shifts of about 8000 km/s so all about 350 million light years away.

6329 is the brightest visually followed by 6332 & 6336 with 6323 the hardest requiring averted vision and patience to spot...in my 16 inch from me small town sky.

post-1454-0-89554500-1432146296.jpg

This article covers the area where I was observing...this chap is able to see much more than me!

http://www.skyandtelescope.com/observing/a-chain-of-galaxies-near-m92/

Why don't you give it a go and see how many you can see.

Mark

Thanks for the nice report (as usual) and the challenge Mark :smiley:

I'll have a look at that area when I've next got my 12" dob out. I've popped the ED120 refractor out this evening to have a look at Saturn later because the dob can't view that low in my sky.

I do like the challenge of observing really distant galaxies, as far as my aperture and conditions will allow :smiley:

Archived