NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Is the weight of the 130P DS the same as 130P

Hi all, I wonder if anyone can confirm that the weight of the 130P DS OTA is the same weight as the regular 130P OTA?

I ask because I am looking to purchase one to attach my DSLR to and I want to use my existing Sync Scan Alt-Az Goto mount. I was looking at getting the 130P DS on a EQ3 Pro Goto but I was advised that the EQ5 Goto would be the more steady mount of the 2.

I cant afford the mount, so I was going to use my existing one to start imaging. I know that I will be limited to 25 secs or so exposures, but I did manage to get M57 and M42 using a modified webcam on my 130P with Alt-AZ and I have seen someone on the net get some good images with the 130P DS on a Alt-AZ. I will then upgrade my mount by Xmas so I can do longer exposure with my 1000D.

Thanks for the answer in advance.

Given your long term aim the 130p will not help as it will not reach focus with a DSLR. re-reading the thread and op original I now realise you already have the 130p so as other poster nothing lost move the mirror and have a go.

The weight difference between the two will be quite small. But you really need to get your imaging platform (a suitable mount) in place first before you start dabbling with long exposures, the EQ3 will not make your life easy. Your ultimate goal is a "set up and walk away" system, that allows you to get on with processing the data as it comes in, without having to hover over PHD waiting for next dose of backlash.

Archived