Starting my eyepiece collection

m4sh

Hello I want to buy some new eyepieces. I have my eyes on the TeleVue Delos series plus a Panoptic for low magnification. I have a 10''/1200 Dobsonian from Sky-watcher. My question is which eyepieces should I buy, and where to start. For example I was thinking about 27 or 24mm Panoptic, 14mm Delos and 8mm Delos. But which one should I buy first, and which one second? I currently own the 25mm and 10mm eyepices that came with the scope, plus 6mm from delta optical.

Also If I buy the 2'' panoptic, will I be able to put it directly into the focuser, or do I have to use the 2'' adapter that came with the scope. image 

Thank you!

The 14mm Delos fills the most obvious gap in your collection, but a 27mm would give you much wider field of view. Buying the latter would also allow you to sell the 25, which would be redundant. As far as I know, you would need the 2" adapter. A 28mm Nirvana would also be great, and give a much wider FOV. Worth looking into.

You will need to change over to the 2" adaptor if you want to buy/use 2" ep's.  I would suggest the 24mm Panoptic as a good first buy, gives great widefield views, and a little later, the 31mm T5 Nagler later.

I would like to suggest that you take some time to consider combination of  24mm Panoptic, 12mm Delos and 8mm Delos. 12mm and 14mm Delos should both do excellent work in your scope, the advantage of 12mm Delos is that it is parfocal with 24mm Pan and 8mm Delos, also Naglers Zoom and T6 Naglers, while 14mm Delos is far away with these eyepieces.

24mm Pan should be the first one to get if you're in learning stage of star-hopping with you finder(scope), otherwise the mid-range Delos should be the work-horse eyepiece.

The 24mm Pan does sound nice, but I need to wear glasses due to my astigmatism.

Is there an alternative to it which has little more eye relief?

I've a 250px, and others are far more expert on eps than me. Just to say, the Pan24 is a beautiful ep, and I picked up a 13T6 and 7T6 over time along with a PM 2.5x. They are all wonderful to be honest, and the 7mm is really coming into its own on my 15".

Once I popped the 13T6 into my 250px, I always see strong green in M42. It was grey with a 15mm GSO super wide prior to getting the Televue.

As your telescope is a F4.8, I wouldn't go above 24-25mm unless your sky is dark.

I don't know about your fundings, but you might also consider the Nagler 22 T4, which has 19mm eye relief and gives you 4.6mm exit pupil (so the sky is not too grey). => low power DSO

With that telescope, I would probably add a Delos 10mm (if eye relief is important for you). => DSO

If the 6mm you already have is good, I would keep it. Otherwise I would replace it with a Delos 6mm. => Planets/doubles

Sadly, I doubt the 12 and 8mm will be used in combination with a powermate 2.5x on the OP's telescope due to lack of adequate seeing for those magnifications.

I think I will go with the 24 Pan, 12 and 8 Delos.
I will buy a TV Dioptrx together with it. 
This should cover my observing needs for long, long time

Thanks everybody for your help.

Archived