Which mount after CG5?

cshahar

Well, I purchased a CG5 as a starter mount a few months ago, and am already thinking about where to go from here, as I upgrade my telescope. Portability is a huge factor for me, as I don't like to carry anything particularly heavy, and I have to displace significant distances to get to truly dark skies. Any thoughts about a more rugged mount, that is a proven performer, but which is just a little heavier than the CG5?

Thanks,

-Charles

I believe the EQ5 and the CG5 are mechanically identical but the tripods differ (the CG5 has the 2" legs and the EQ5 the 1.75") and the control software and handset differ.

I would have thought the CG5 (assuming it is the goto version) is fine as a starter for deep sky imaging, but you may find the 5" refractor is not the best choice to start deep sky imaging - a faster, shorter FL refractor like an ED80 is the more common choice. I'm sure some more experienced imagers will give you definitve answers.

The Celestron AVX is more rugged and sturdy, takes more weight yet is still very portable. I upgraded from a much loved CG-5 and have been very happy with it. Takes my 100ED beautifully.

Well, I purchased a CG5 as a starter mount a few months ago, and am already thinking about where to go from here, as I upgrade my telescope. Portability is a huge factor for me, as I don't like to carry anything particularly heavy, and I have to displace significant distances to get to truly dark skies. Any thoughts about a more rugged mount, that is a proven performer, but which is just a little heavier than the CG5?

Thanks,

-Charles

I went from a CG5 to HEQ5 and am now looking to go to an NEQ6/EQ6. I agree wit Sara on this one.

Cheers

Cam

Archived