Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Smart remote controllable LED lights

cathouse42

I am currently hunting for RED lights but all I can find are filiment bulbs (incandescent) and worse, they are the awful UK bayonet fittings (I use Edisson screws).

So, I was thinking of one of those smart colour changing remote controllable LED lights, I only need two colours, WHITE and RED :)

However, theyre overpriced and being high above sea level (a mountain) with bad supply of electricity, I need it to take lots of abuse.

Has anybody got any long term experience with smart lights?

Are they rhobust enough for a rough electrical environment? Do they last long?

I don't really want to pay 80 GBP for one, perhaps 30 or 40 tops.  I also don't want cheap made rubbish :)

You can buy an adapter to fit a bayonet bulb to an Edison or SES holder and vice versa.

Yeah I saw some, are they rhobust enough?

Keep in mind I am in a harsh electrical environment during Winter time especially, I could end up on Generators, and power failing any time and suddenly comming on again.

I do use lots of surge protectors tho :)

Still, would be nice to have a sub 40 GBP wifi controllable one (not iPhone lol). Android or PC (I can always hack up something on the PC to control it perhaps if its android only, I can reverse engineer the android app).

Silly question. Have u tried ikea ? They sometimes do a string of red led lights Mark

it is to fit it into a floor standing lamp I got from Ikea.

I also wish to use it for normal use, so has to be higher wattage. I currently have a 30W energy bulb in there.

Not really interested in strings of party lights though.

Anybody ever tried the LIFX wifi bulb?

It is approximately 1000 lumens (17 watt LED equivilent to 70ish watts incandesent).

All the rest are generally either bluetooth, terrible apps, require a dedicated custom hub (LIFX a single bulb becomes a master and the rest slaves using 802.15.4 6LoWPAN).

http://www.contextis.com/resources/blog/hacking-internet-connected-light-bulbs/

Cheapest place I find them are Amazon at 65 GBP.

Seem all round better than Phillips Hue and the cheaper Bluetooth variants with custom remotes (probably junk that will fail and the remote lost, I am also not a fan of Bluetooth).

Their package seems all around more flexible and standardised, and an API comming out soon (if not now) so could be automated easier.

• 4 weeks later...

Archived