Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

eq3-2 polar scope problems

Can't seem to align my eq3-2 polar scope I got yesterday, for some reason the eq3-2 mount had an attachment already in place with thumb screw's but what's it for? Also why after 2 hours wouldn't my polar scope align? It was centred on the retical one way but never the other :( its meant to be easy but I'm finding it very hard. Can I some how use the thumb screw attachment rather than the grub screws that came on the polar scope? See picture of both.

post-41658-0-71535200-1430580436_thumb.j

The thumbscrews are the same thread but make sure that you only swap one at a time otherwise the reticule will drop out.

I did originally swap mine over but eventually went back to the grubscrews because mine kept loosing adjustment when handled.

Alan

Would love to know what the attachment that came with the mount is for, the manual says nothing and I can't work it out. :/ anyone have any ideas?

I think it was for an older version of the polarscope but it could be useful if you wanted to fit a laser pointer into it for very quick visual alignment.

Alan

Ahh I see, well I took the thumb screws off and put them on the polar scope and after an hour or 2 it is pretty spot on, not 100% perfect but when I put the object in the outside circle it stays inside all the way around, also how far should the object be away? When I focus on the object the reticle disappears and when I can see the reticle the object is blured. Is this normal?

You will need to focus the Polar scope on a distant object during the day. The front knurled eyepiece unit will adjust by releasing the locking ring at the rear, use this in conjunction with adjusting the barrel of the scope, again after releasing its locking ring. The barrel will screw in and out to achieve focus, at the same time adjusting the eyepiece, should bring the reticule into sharp relief on the field of view, retighten all locking rings, job done. 

I have the impression that many Polar scope users, new to Astronomy, aren't aware that they are adjustable and accordingly can be adapted to individual eye sight preferences, enjoy :)

Archived