Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

advice very welcome. eq3-2 polar scope dual axis drive

Good morning star gazers.

I was thinking of getting the eq3-2 plus polar scope and dual axis motor drive to upgrade my eq2 mount, I wanted the eq3 pro GOTO but haven't got enough for that, any way I would be putting my skywatcher 130 on the mount plus a canon 1000d for astrophotography. Could anyone give me a rough time frame for exposure I could likely achieve? With me eq2 and simple RA drive I can only manage about 10 sec exposure but then polar alignment isn't very good with that mount.

People always say get the heq5 as a minimum mount but as I'm only a minute wage support worker I can't afford anything in that price range.

So could I get longer exposure if polar alignment was more accurate?

Thanks in advance!!! :)

Also I have cut my focuser down on the 130 and can now achieve prime focus.

Hi there! With my EQ3-2, I have managed 2 minute subs. My last effort resulted in 40 subs taken and 11 discarded, mostly due to trailing that was probably a result of periodic error. This is just with careful calibation of the polar scope and then alignment of the tripod and then the polar alignment using the Polar Finder App - I've never used the setting circles and, usually, can't even attempt a drift alignment because of my location. I'm going to try and get slightly longer subs, but I think 120 seconds is starting to push the limits of the set-up I have. Although that is enough to get some nice images of brighter DSOs - you will struggle to get more detail out of the fainter ones, but it will give you enough information to play about and learn a lot about processing the images.

I can't remember the difference in price, but if you just go for the RA motor you might be able to save a few pennies. That is all I use and manually slew to targets. It can be a pain sometimes, but it is a good way to get used to the night sky and the location of some targets. Unless you are able to guide, or have goto ability (which I don't think the EQ3-2 you are talking about does) I think the DEC motor will be unnecessary.

Check out "Making Every Photon Count" if you are keen to start on astrophotography.

It is difficult if you are impatient like me but, if you can save up for longer to go for an HEQ5, it might be worth it in the long run. I've had my EQ3-2 for maybe 6-8 months and have outgrown it so am looking to upgrade it already. Although I can probably sell it on it has, effectively, increased the cost of the new mount as, ideally, I should have waited and just bought the better mount in the first place.

As a tool to learn AP and get familiar with the Dark Arts it has been great but, if you get the bug, you may soon grow out of it.

Just my opinion of course.

Whatever you decide, good luck, have fun and l look forward to seeing your images!

Cheers

Mark

Thanks for the very quick response, didn't think any one would be up aha I have done some working out and may be able to push the limits of my budget and get the eq3 pro GOTO, as it isn't much more than all the eq3-2 and drive and what not, would the GOTO yield longer exposure times with a good polar alignment? I can't do the drift method what with house every where.

Thanks once again.

I am not sure so could be leading you astray but the EQ3-2 mount the problem is usually stability and that is more a feature of the tripod. Not sure if therefore you could get the EQ3-2 then at some time get hold of an EQ5 tripod and use the 3-2 head on that tripod.

One place that had tripods, reduced, has disappeared.

The other aspect is if you do not have any of the bits yet then as you assemble the funds keep an eye on ABSUK for a used item.

I usually mention ABSUK but as people sort of "want" something getting something used means waiting for it to appear - whatever item then disappears from the market.

If you have none of the items and are willing to wait then consider IAS at Stonleigh later in the year, you might be able to pick up a bargain there. That is if it is close and if you want to and can get there.

I have some spare weights that I will stick on the tripod and a couple of 2.5kg weights I can plop on the tray in the middle but I can always upgrade the tripod at a later date for say the tube legs depending on if the mount will fit on another tripod.

Don't extend the tripod legs either.  That helps to keep it a bit more stable.  Some people fill the legs with sand, too.

If you get decent polar alignment (drift alignment is probably the ideal way to do that) then you can get reasonable sub lengths with the EQ3-2 at short-ish focal lengths.  I finally gave up on mine when I was trying to capture images of globular clusters at a metre and a half focal length.  It's really not good for that.

James

Alternatively, there's a used EQ5 also on AB&S.  It's not near you, but if shipping could be arranged it would probably cost less for that and the EQ5 dual motor drives than for a brand new EQ3-2 and dual motors (and not a huge amount more than a new EQ3-2 with the used motors).

James

Archived