Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Good starter scope for kids

But a child can track an EQ mount once it has been roughly (Even VERY roughly) set to north and the Dec to 51 deg. However the same child in my experience can not track even Jupiter very well with a Dob. They will lose the target and quickly get fed up...which is what happened with my kids with my friends Dob. On an EQ mount, once its on target, its one knob to track. With Sysnscan its even easier!

I agree. However, who is the scope for and who will be doing the setting up of the EQ scope?. Dad most likely. I'm approaching this purely from an angle where the scope will be set up and used by the child alone. I had not considered any kind of Go-To system simply because i didnt see it mentioned and also the fact that they can be a bit tricky to set up. If dad is willing to lend a hand (as im sure he is) then something like this could be a good choice:

http://www.firstlightoptics.com/slt-series/celestron-nexstar-127-slt.html

Ive seen this scope mentioned quite often on here of late. More so by "experienced" observers giving advice to people asking about a first scope. The other obvious scope mentioned is a 200mm Dob, but as stated already.............the eyepiece may not be at a suitable height for a 9 yr old even if she is tall. 

To Beardy30..............

Your brain will be in a spin by the time you decide on which scope to buy. It should be. Its the only way to come to a decision on what is right to buy. I think the best idea is to go to an astronomy club meeting in your area and look at and look through as many scopes as you can. This will give you a clearer understanding of what suits.

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Haven't seen an eq mount being suggested.

It was a manageable refractor on a az go to mount mentioned yesterday.

I have a heritage and I have a small refractor. The refractor is miles easier to use more natural focuser unit and it points in the direction you are looking. Yes it has a smaller apperature but this is not always the driving point.

Dad has bought the 200p for himself.

Haven't seen an eq mount being suggested.

It was a manageable refractor on a az go to mount mentioned yesterday.

I have a heritage and I have a small refractor. The refractor is miles easier to use more natural focuser unit and it points in the direction you are looking. Yes it has a smaller apperature but this is not always the driving point.

Dad has bought the 200p for himself.

I put my hands up in ignorance and say that when i think of refractors, i automatically see them in my mind's eye mounted on EQ mounts. Now, if we are talking about a nice little refrac on something like an AZ4 mount.............

Very nice and simple and very usable for a child.........or anyone really.

What would be the max aperture refrac that you can mount on an AZ4?. 

*Edit*

I do believe that in the past here on SGL that i have seen the OTA of a Heritage 130p mounted on an AZ4. Looked mad, but worked.

If your girls drew a telescope what would the picture look like.

Or why not get your one home and used and see what the reactions are to it.

Or take them to an outreach event and see what their reactions are if you are undecided.

I think folks are right that the best way is to go to an event and try both.

I have a 130mm truss dob with a 24mm ep in that my 8 and 10 yr olds can lift out the garage onto the drive, turn on the rdf, point it at something, sit on an upturned bucket and be observing in <1min...

Archived