Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

'left eyed' finder scope sighting with 100p dob?

I'm close to selecting a 100mm f/4 as my first scope. Maybe with a decent wide angle EP.

But it's occurred to me I might not be able to use the red dot finder thingy. I would have to use my left eye as I can only read the giant A on an optician's chart with my right.

My question:

Would I be able to use the finder scope by having my head right behind the whole unit? (it's 400mm long)

Is it the skywatcher heritage 100p?  I'm guessing you could use the finderscope with your head right behind the unit if it's a red dot finder.  Alternatively if you're prepared to drill holes in your new scope you could move the finder to the other side of the telescope tube so as to be able to use your left eye.  Also, with such a widefield telescope you might be fine just lining up the telescope tube roughly by looking along the tube at what you're aiming for then using your lowest magnification eyepiece.

If you can get to an actual shop and check it out yourself that would be ideal, however if you buy online from somewhere with a no quibble returns policy (e.g.: this forums sponsor) you can always return it if you have problems.  

Keep your spectacles on while using the finder? I'm so short sighted that when the optician asks me to read the chart on the wall - I ask - "what wall", so I', constantly switching between specs and no specs

Solution: Rigel Quikfinder*. Mount it using the supplied sticky pads, no drilling required.

I use mine with my left eye. Slightly bigger view 'window' and useful aiming circles. The only awkwardness is when the scope is pointing near straight-up, but I think that's true of any 'straight through' finder. That's one of the reasons I prefer to also have a Right Angled Correct Image finder (RACI) onboard.

*Or indeed, Telrad - but that may be too big/heavy for a 100mm. Rigel has a nice small footprint, and weighs next to nothing.

Archived