Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

spc900 vs asi120

Can decide weather to get a modded spc900 at £50 or an asi120 colour at £250.

Will the asi120 b 5x better ??

I know mono/filters are better but im just starting out in ap and want to keep it as simple as poss right now.

Wanting this for planetary. .

Scope is sn 8" EdgeHD. .

Thanx guys..

Cant decide wether to get a modded spc900 at £50 or an asi120 colour at £250.

Will the asi120 b 5x better ??

I know mono/filters are better but im just starting out in ap and want to keep it as simple as poss right now.

Wanting this for planetary. .

Scope is sn 8" EdgeHD. .

Thanx guys.. 

Cant find the edit button...

Depends how you define "better", I think.  The considerations may not always be directly related to the quality of the final image.

For example the smaller pixel size of the ASI120 means you have the opportunity to use shorter effective focal lengths for the same resolution.  That can make life somewhat easier, especially when it comes to getting the planet on the camera sensor and keeping it there.

The ASI cameras can be a little fussy about USB interfaces, though I've not personally had any problems with my 120MM-S.

In terms of the final image quality I'd say the 120MC is better enough that you can tell, but not jaw-droppingly so.  The really big change in my experience comes from moving from colour to mono.

James

I've used both and I much prefer the ASI120MC. But as James said, Mono is better, but you need filters. If you're strapped for cash, and for getting used to planetary imaging, have a go at the Phillips.

Look at my Astrobin images - link in my sig. The older planet images were done with the Phillips, the latest Jupiter with the ASI. But I'm not that good at planetary! The seeing has a lot of effect on the image. You could take one with the Phillips and it could be better than one taken on a poor night with the ASI, but in direct comparison the ASI is better. I find solar images excellent with the ASI.

Alexxx

Archived