what laptop specs

I'm no expert on telescopes but based on what is written in the SynScan manual:

"A computer running Windows 95 or a later version.

A RS-232C serial port on the computer, or a USB-to-Serial adaptor"

and I understand that this is only required for firmware upgrade, hence, any available PC running windows will do.

Unless you are thinking about image processing then I would recommend a PC with at least an i5 processer (or equivalent), and don’t go cheap on the RAM 2GB is the minimum but if you are buying a new PC 6 or 8GB would be recommended. Also most photographers would prefer a PC with a dedicated graphic card (Nvidia or ATI), but for me as an amateur and not experienced in image processing I don't need it, especially, it will increase the power consumption, which would require a larger power supply, and if it is a laptop it would get hotter and drain you battery faster.

Take into account what you might run on it in the future - particularly if you might be using Stellarium - it needs fairly capable laptop to run - i5 machines are cheap just now and with a good chunk of ram should run most things you might throw at it.

I use a Panasonic CF29 Toughbook with an SSD drive - because its waterproof, drop proof etc but its a low spec machine and will not run Stellarium so I use Carte du Ciel instead. It will however run PHD2, CdC. Focusmax, Astrotortilla etc concuuerntly no bother at all.

All my processing is done on an i5 laptop.

You can run the mount, Camera and CdC  on a pretty low spec machine I used to use a Samsung NC10 running Windows XP, upgraded it to 2GB of ram... Battery life was really good...

You can do the same using Windows Tablets - just make sure you have ones that use Intel processors so they can run full PC apps... 

An I5 is capable of running some of  the "heavier" software out in the field  like at starparties where you might want to process up the images you capture the next day... USB3.0 is nice to have for a bit of short term future proofing...

As above check battery life...

Peter...

I've got a lot of experiance with computers. They remain my primary hobby after many years.

For running a telescope mount with planetarium software... An Intel I3 or an AMD A6 will do fine. If you want to edit photos (incl, stacking ap) you would be better off with an I5 or an FX-8350 (for stacking w/ap, the bet you can get (an I7/I7xtreme))

It won't need an integrated GPU/Graphics card of any kind. Unless software you use claims to utilise OpenCL or CUDA.

~pip

Based on your feedback any new laptop would serve you good, but make sure that the graphic card support OpenGL 2.1 or higher (as it is a minimum requirement for stelarium), where most up to data intel graphic card would do.

Check the following link (http://www.intel.com/support/graphics/sb/CS-033757.htm) to see which intel graphic card would support OpenGL, or OpenCL (if it is also required in other required apps)

regarding backyard nikon, I read from their web site that some nikon models only support 32 bit processor, but I think it is not an issue with the D7100, but mention a minimum need of 2 GB or RAM, and they recommend more, so put that in mind.

Brand wise, check Microsoft Surface pro 3 they are a little bit pricey but really light, a full capable laptop and only 800g.

I use a surface pro. Has full hd screen, the most responsive touch screen ive used, USB 3.0, core i5, 4gb ram, Samsung based ssd. Also backlit keyboard which I find is absolutely essential when outside. Battery life is 4-5 hours however you can buy a 12v cigarette charger that will plug in to a power pack. Whole lot can be picked up for around the £300 mark.

Its ok will be fine for guiding, however 2 days ago Tesco were selling it for £129, albeit with 2gb ram instead of 4, however for guiding that is plenty. Mate bought one and I have to say, its very well built and the matte finish is much better than the glossy.

http://www.hotukdeals.com/deals/lenovo-s20-11-6-laptop-intel-celeron-2gb-ram-320gb-129-00-tesco-direct-2182784

Now up to £169, although if you register as a new customer ( a new customer is just a new email address - I've been a new customer about 50 times) you can get another £20 off I believe, making it £149

Can't edit - the cpu in the amazon one is marginally better, and the HD slightly bigger, however for your use you won't notice any difference. 

In fact, either way I'd be tempted to spend £50 on bang an SSD in there - will feel far quicker.

Good decision on considering Lenovo, really good quality for a really reasonable price. The spec on paper suggest that it is sufficient to run the needed application.

By comparing the two laptops (the one from amazon vs Tesco) based on their processors, the one from amazon have a 4 core processor (vs 2) and double the cache memory, therefor it out score the one from Tesco by about x1.7 (based on the PassMark CPU Benchmark).

However, if you have an extra ~200 pounds to spend, I would really encourage you to get a 4th generation i3 processors, such as the Lenovo Flex 2, http://shop.lenovo.com/gb/en/laptops/lenovo/flex/flex-2-14/index.html.

Archived