Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Light Pollution Filter For Canon

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think the point about going for the 77mm over the 72mm is that  there is a relatively small difference in price  compared to the overall  cost... The 77mm  will cover most lenses - chances are anything bigger will use an internal drop in filter anyway....

There's not much risk involved with the Astronomik Clip in filters  and they will work with anything you can fit the camera to...

Peter...

This was my first ever shot using my 350D over 2 years ago, I didn't know anything about flats/darks/bias at that time xx

I think flats are absolutely essential for camera lens shots, if you have any significant sky background (unless, I guess, you use the assorted lens correction tools out there - Canon DPP can certainly correct their lenses for vignetting, although this is a bit tedious if you are stacking as you have to correct each sub first).

NigelM

I have only used my baader neolythium briefly but the images from using it were easier to work afterwards then my prior ones.

I think I'll go for a 1.25" baader neo, to see how I get on using step down rings, and if it's not much improvement, I can still use it with my 1.25 ep's? Or would it be too much of a stop-down to be worth it? I had a quick check on my Canon Lenses, and only the kit 18-55 is EFS, the 28-80mm is a plain EF, and to be fair, that's the one I find I'm using more with my 20D, so I could save up and get the clip for £130 to use on the 20D, as that's the one I will be doing more wide angle shots on, as opposed to the 350D/18-55mm lens. 

Do you find you need it for visual? I don't bother personally.

The skywatcher one has shown great help on some posts members have made on here and is a very favorable price.

A lot depends on the type of light you want to filter out, mine is a mix including sodium still.

The 2" skywatcher filter could be a useful alternative for several reasons:

Its cheap and does offer some reduction in LP

It can be used with all lens types and when used with a step down ring would give you an effective aperature mask.

Most of the focal reducers, field flattener and camera adaptors are threaded for 2" filters.

Can be used visually.

Alan

I'm stuck in Mid-Sussex with no car, and LP is the bane of my life. What I've been doing of late is chasing the ISS and experimenting various settings for star trails and constellation shots with the DSLR, and trying to check out a bit of some recommended tours and highlights for some apertures from different books and magazines, and having trouble with the LP in both instruments.  As for using a 2" for visual as well as DSLR usage, all my bits and pieces are 1.25", and I just wanna stick to the same size really.  Just ordered the Baader, as I've seen loads of brilliant reviews online, and in a fortnight order the Astronomik clip :) Thanks for everyones input, much appreciated!

Archived