NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Light Pollution Filter For Canon

For nearly 2 years now, I have been looking into light pollution filters for my DSLRs, for use in all ranges of shots. I have seen the Astronomik APS Clip system, but on one of the pages, it stated that it would be no use for wide angle shots unfortunately.  Ideally, I'm looking for a filter that I could simply screw into the top of the lens for use in wide angle sky scape shots to possibly some basic DSO work when I purchase either a Vixen Polarie or drives for the EQ5 mount.  Or even if there are sheets of filter, like the old Wratten colour filters, which I could home-make my own filters. Any input would be great thanks. 

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have used the  astronomik CLS-CCD clip-in   and IDAS MFA in body screw in  filters  with lenses  down to 14mm  it can only be used with EF lenses not the cheaper EF-S ones  as they have extended backs to them that would foul on the filter.

I also use a 77mm IDAS filter with full frame camera... the Large LP filters are expensive...

What size filters screw  onto the front of your lenses...  2" filters are 48mm diameter and can be used  with step rings on lenses the larger the difference in size and the shorter the FL the more vignetting you will see but this can be  reduced a bit by using flat frames in the post processing...

The  2" Skywatcher  LP filter  http://www.firstlightoptics.com/light-pollution-reduction/skywatcher-light-pollution-filter.html is a cheap option and depending on what sources are causing the LP can be quite effective... 

Peter...

EF-S lenses are only designed to work on APS-C sized camera and extend further back into the camera body than the Full frame EF lenses - which can also be used on APS-C cameras...  the EF-S has nothing to do with the "focal length" of the lens.

http://www.slrphotographyguide.com/camera/canon-digital-slr/EF-EFS-lens.shtml

http://www.photographybay.com/2014/02/23/what-is-the-difference-between-canon-ef-and-ef-s-lenses/

The picture in the second link shows the difference between the two mounts...

What lens have you got?  Some people have performed "surgery" on the back end of the lens to remove the "extra" material that gets in the way...  not suggesting that you do this mind...

Peter...

Probably won't be able to use them  - can't comment on the effects of the meds......

The clip ins can be used in APS-C sensored canon camera's with all Canon EF lenses not with EF-S lenses... I won't confuse matters further - but not all EF-S lenses are the same at the back...

Here's a how to - but as stated in the linked article - it's all at your own risk...  you wont have mirror collision issues and it should give you the room you need to use the lenses with the clip-in filters...

Peter...

I don't fancy doing surgery on them thanks, and tbh, fussing aroung with the sensor anyway, makes me feel nervous. Looking for a 58mm LP filter that I can just screw in would be awesome, and I would feel ok about the other half using one too, whereas I wouldn't trust either of us clipping something onto the sensors of either of my DSLR's.

I think your going to struggle - Sorry :(

They  jumped from 52mm to 72mm   sit down before looking at the price... http://www.firstlightoptics.com/light-pollution-reduction-imaging/idas-p2-light-pollution-suppression-filter.html

Peter...

You could use a step down ring from 58mm to 52mm, but personally I'd get the 77mm because it will have more use in future...

A light pollution filter is no substitute for dark skies but it certainly does help. The more and more LED lighting takes over the less it will help but for now I still see an orange glow over towns/cities.

You could use a step down ring from 58mm to 52mm, but personally I'd get the 77mm because it will have more use in future...

A light pollution filter is no substitute for dark skies but it certainly does help. The more and more LED lighting takes over the less it will help but for now I still see an orange glow over towns/cities.

Thanks Stuart, but why would the 77mm be more future-proof? Or is that really obvious, and thus a stupid question? I'm signing the e-petition tonight to give the South Down's Dark Sky status, after reading an article in Astronomy Now, and especially after booking a star party for two in Galloway.... maybe then will the population of Sussex pay attention to what's over their heads...

Thanks Stuart, but why would the 77mm be more future-proof?

You can fit a large filter to a smaller lens by using step rings, you can't do it the opposite way...i.e. you can't make a small filter larger than it is but you can crop some of it off by using a large filter on a small lens...

I use a 2 inch baader filter and with various step rings for it to my different lenses used on my 1100d. I found a site that has loads of sizes for step up and step down rings.

Added. I use mainly vintage lenses at night which are 48mm and 49mm threaded. I haven't yet got a step ring for the kit lens because it is poor at night.

I have the skywatcher 2" one (which I always use at prime focus, if nothing else to keep dust off the DSLR chip), and I bought a step ring (can't remember which unfortunately) to get it to fit my Canon EFS lenses. But to be honest, although I have pretty bad light pollution  I don't bother  using it with wide field shots. 

NigelM

I have the skywatcher 2" one (which I always use at prime focus, if nothing else to keep dust off the DSLR chip), and I bought a step ring (can't remember which unfortunately) to get it to fit my Canon EFS lenses. But to be honest, although I have pretty bad light pollution  I don't bother  using it with wide field shots. 

NigelM

Thanks for the input, apart from obviously doing the stacking method, trying to find a way around a washout like this....

first light 005.CR2

Archived