wider fov ep recommends for my collection

alro

Hello all, thanks for all advice and help.

i am looking at getting an ep with a larger fov for 20-25mm range.

i have been looking at

baader hypeorion 24mm

es ar 24mm

maxvision 24mm

bst starguider 25mm

baader hypeorion 21mm

maxvision 20mm

rev astro superview 20mm

i have mentioned in the past that i am a fan of bst starguiders, but think maybe i should dip my toe and try a wider fov of 68 that all the others on my list can offer. Would i gain much in the extra 8 degrees and lose parfocal aspect?

i understand that the 21mm hyperion is more versatile than 24mm and can open the door to me for 2 inch.

also that the maxvision although having good optics that for some can be uncomfortable.

i will be using on 8 inch sct f10. My preference is to remain with 1.25 . I dont really want to spend more than £150 and want to buy new. Im also open to other ep s that may be suggested.

thanks

al

Well, I can only comment on the Maxvisions, but in an f10 scope they are excellent. I have the 24, 20 and 16 and consider them my best value EPs. They are just as sharp as my televue plossls, slightly less well corrected at the edge(good to over 95% of view). They also feel very well made.

As good as Calvins advice is and I keep looking at the one on classified, they are a lot of money, I used to have one and they are as good as any on the market and better than most.

F 10 is going to nice and friendly to all the eyepieces you listed.

I have used Meade/MaxV 24mm and the Baader 24mm, the former is much better when the scopes get faster.

The others I have not used but on the 24mm I would go for the Max V or Meade, BTW the ExSc 24mm has the same elements so it more or less the same eyepiece.

BST's seem to have a good few followers and I am sure will be fine at F 10, cheap enough as well, though in the long run with scope changes i would expect my recommendation to be a bit better but

it is dearer.

On the 20mm I owned the 20 mm Meade SWA which is the Maxvision eyepiece but in a different skirt, very good eyepiece.

alan..

I like the BST eyepieces and have purchased several of them, But, I've not rushed to replace my 32mm plossl with a 25mm BST. Drop 10% actual field of view, gain 15% apparant field of view. Both will have decent eye relief. TL;DR; See much the same view a bit bigger.

If I was to buy another eyepiece for my scope, it would be a 2" one so I could get a larger actual field of view. The thing being that the ultimate limit for any scope is the size of the barrel. The 32mm plossl is on or near the limit for 1.25"

Taking the simple option, you have the 8mm, 12mm, 15mm, 18mm BST's may as well add the 25mm to the herd. :grin: :grin: :grin:

It just seems easier.

i kind of agree ronin, add another starguider to my stable!!

Just wasnt sure whether to try something with an extra 8 degree fov!, not even sure if 8 degree would make a difference at my level.

al

'i understand that the 21mm hyperion is more versatile than 24mm and can open the door to me for 2 inch.' Hi Al, the Baader Hyperion's are 1.25" eyepieces that also fit 2" focusers, but essentially they are 1.25".  Remove the 1.25" bit and you alter the focal length of the ep.

IMO, in the long run  the 24mm Maxvision would be the better option. And it's within your budget. Should you decide on a 12" Dob or short tube refractor in future it'll work fine unlike the Hyperion.  What ronin suggested looks very good as a budget solution, the BST would be two times cheaper and in your Cat it doesn't yield to Maxvision anything except *some* AFOV, I mean they'll give pretty much the same TFOV, magnification and exit pupil. And don't think that the actual difference in AFOV will be exactly as claimed by the manufacturer  8*, in real life it can be closer to ~5* :grin: .

Archived