Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

observing help with messiers

S_R,

The answer to your question is really dependant on the levels of light pollution at you viewing site. This is particularly important for M51. Take last week for example, at Kielder under very dark skies, M51 was a stunning sight through most scopes, where the spiral could be seen, and the satellite. In larger scopes, the whispy join between the two could be seen. However, smaller aperture, light pollution, it will appear, to the eye, as a distinct grey smudge.

M57 in contrast is easily viwed in even heavy light pollution. The object appears as a distinct grey ring in the eyepiece, colour only comes out with photography as your eyes aren't sensitive enough to get colour detail in fainter objects.

Steve..

If it ever stops blumming raining here, I'll take my 90mm out and see if I can see both M51 and M57. I've got some fairly good skies up here light pollution wise.

I'll let you know.

BTW you'll know when the skies clear as Im sure my squeal of delight will be heard where you are. :(

Archived