Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

A big ugly 6" Achromat

Hi all, Here's a bit of kit many would avoid the big shortish focal length f8 6" achromat. I recently bought a cpc1100 sct a wonderful scope but not exactly grab n go. Sold my PST and had a few hundred quid for a quick look scope (no 2hr cooldown). A 6 year old non collimatable Helios(aka Synta) with eq5 and dual drives popped up on e-bay not 20 miles from me. Rang the guy went to view picked it up for £120 cash! Yup £120

O.K you think gotta be a bit of a dog? Well the standard aluminium tripod is of course junk the Ra worm shaft end is a little bent and no crayford focusser with this one! First thing I did was junk the wobbly aluminium legs , spent £6 in B&Q for a bit of par pine and made a full fixed height tripod. It's rough and ready but holds the scope steady as a rock. Surprised to find the motors track spot on despite the end of the Ra worm shaft scribing a little circle. Took the scope out thinking optics are gonna be very average (no deep blue multi coatings on this one just a single anti reflection in those days) . There is a God! It's factory fixed collimation

is spot on . I had forgotten just how good Saturn looks through a big fractor, mesmerising. A little CA is evident but negligable and does not bother me at all. Best £126 I have ever spent in my life.

Set up as purchased

4977_normal.jpeg

(click to enlarge)

Now with a proper tripod!

4978_normal.jpeg

(click to enlarge)

and another

4979_normal.jpeg

(click to enlarge)

I am just stacking some images of Saturn I took last night and will post in the Imaging section shortly.

Cheers

Dave

Archived