Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

what scope

If you had a choice which telescope would you go for to go with a HEQ5 mount and a Nikon DSLR? I was looking at the skywatcher ED80 with flattener but I am a bit concearned now with  crayford focus? been told rack and pinion is better, then theres a special offer at first light for an esprit triplet? is there much difference with the triplet, also I sa an Altair in one of the sky at night magazines that had good reviews, seriously stuck on the scope as its like a minefield out there

If you had a choice which telescope would you go for to go with a HEQ5 mount and a Nikon DSLR? I was looking at the skywatcher ED80 with flattener but I am a bit concearned now with  crayford focus? been told rack and pinion is better, then theres a special offer at first light for an esprit triplet? is there much difference with the triplet, also I sa an Altair in one of the sky at night magazines that had good reviews, seriously stuck on the scope as its like a minefield out there

The R&P hybrid focusers on WO and now TS and Altair scopes are head and shoulders above the stock Synta Crayford focusers that is fitted to their budget range of scopes. ED 80s strength is not in its mechanical bits but the optics which are superb for a cheap doublet. The triplet will have better correction for sure but at a price. The new price of the Esprit Pro is tempting though so if funds permit then you may consider it, however my only point of concern is that you do not see a lot of images taken by the Esprit Pro in the deep sky imaging section.

A.G

I would give the 300/2.8 prime a go as well...  Accurate focusing is the tricky (but not impossible) part with camera lenses compared to scopes... If it's an AF lens then it should be possible to drive it remotely using software  like Backyard Nikon...

I know you can manually remote focus canon AF lenses with the supplied Eos Utilities , Backyard EOS and  APT offers FWHM based AF...

If not the TS micro-focusers are very handy...

http://www.teleskop-express.de/shop/product_info.php/language/en/info/p3286_Microfocuser-and-focus-lock-fuer-camera-lenses-up-to-D-135mm.html

Peter..

With regards to scopes you might need to budget for a reducer flattener...

My widefield scopes were a Skywatcher Equinoxe-66 which  suffered an unfortunate accident and really needs a new focuser and a Megrez 72... Both needed a reducer flattener with APS-C sized DSLR chips...

Peter...

Well I know im jumping the gun with regards to scopes as I havnt even got the mount yet which is going to be the HEQ5 syncscan with any luck, my first thoughts were get the mount and make do with the sigma 300, its a 2.8  so pretty fast, I also have a 2x converter that takes it to 5.6 its just that i saw the ed80 with a heq mount on special offer then saw something else and then started looking at everything, Because I mainly use it for birding I use back focus a lot my plan was to back focus say orion nebula and see how it goes failing that i can use manual focus and focus on infinity

In that case fix the budget and make sure it covers everything you need to get you imaging - even using the DSLR tgere are quite a few other bits and pieces you need to get an useable astrophotography setup ..

If you haven't already got it pick up a copy of  Making Every Photon Count by Steve Richards before buying anything else...

Peter..

Got it, and turn left at Orion, I did have a fixed budget but I,m one of those people like a kid in a sweetshop sometimes, I know its stupid but there you go. I will probably go for the Ed80 plus mount combo ( but I do like that williams one lol)

Archived