Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Problems with eq6 upgrade

Dave grim

Hi guys I was wondering if anybody has had problems with the eq6 wedge as sold by Bernard of Modern Astronomy, I have fitted the wedge as per Dion's instructions on the Astronomy Shed YouTube video but as soon as I put the telescope and weights on the mount it just flops forward on the weight side and hits one of the tripod legs I have really tightened the bolts up but then you can't adjust the altitude at all ,to say I'm really fed up and peed of is a understatement as I've spent good money on it and stupidly thrown away the old part of the mount.

Cheers

Dave

Sorry but have you a link to the wedge?

I cannot see why you would fit a wedge to an EQ6, in my simplicity I assume that you fit a wedge to an Alt/Az mount to give it EQ properties.

As the EQ6 is EQ why a wedge?

I am assuming the the wedge you talk of is a big chunk of steel etc?

Sorry but have you a link to the wedge?

I cannot see why you would fit a wedge to an EQ6, in my simplicity I assume that you fit a wedge to an Alt/Az mount to give it EQ properties.

As the EQ6 is EQ why a wedge?

I am assuming the the wedge you talk of is a big chunk of steel etc?

It's not a wedge as in the traditional sense of the word ie an eq wedge for an alt-az mount. The "wedge" replaces the lower half of the EQ head and is supposed to help avoid the bendy bolt syndrome

Hi guys I was wondering if anybody has had problems with the eq6 wedge as sold by Bernard of Modern Astronomy, I have fitted the wedge as per Dion's instructions on the Astronomy Shed YouTube video but as soon as I put the telescope and weights on the mount it just flops forward on the weight side and hits one of the tripod legs I have really tightened the bolts up but then you can't adjust the altitude at all ,to say I'm really fed up and peed of is a understatement as I've spent good money on it and stupidly thrown away the old part of the mount.

Cheers

Dave

I think you probably haven't adjusted the bolts properly.

With that adapter (or wedge) I believe you have to silicone (glue) the plastic bearings in place or you get the "drooping" that you have experienced.  (There is a thread on the Astronomy Shed Forum that explains the details).

quotes from astronomy shed

i had the same problem fixed by this

I have been experiencing slippage with my wedge too. I also received a syringe with some silicon.
Where do I put this?
My slippage seems to be coming from the two side teflon rings even when everything is tight.
Can someone show me a picture of where the silicon goes.
Regards,

MG_01663.jpg&w=622&h=274&zc=1

It goes on the surfaces shown of the two side bushes before fitting to the mount, in effect bonding to the mount as well as the pressure of the bolts :-

Hi guys I have sorted out the problem with slippage on my EQ6 wedge , I have the more modern wedge which has three adjustment bolts which you screw in towards the mount and they tighten everything up ,thanks to Bernard at Modern Astronomy for the info .

Cheers

Dave

Archived