Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

First Light Canon 20D

When I did this one the other day, it was a ISO100, f10 and shutter was at 1/100.

The moon is very bright hence why yours looks over exposed, key is low ISO and fast shutter speed.

Admittedly is was slightly tweeked in lightroom but if you start with the above settings then work it out from there.

16785615227_62443e31f2_z.jpg

Moon by hobsey80, on Flickr

As Anthony above.

What you can do is use the Looney 11 rule.

This is the Lunar version of the Sunny 16 rule that increases the exposure by one stop.

Set aperture to f/11 and your shutter speed is the reciprocal of the ISO.

f/11 ISO 100 shutter 1/100

f/11 ISO 200 shutter 1/200

f/11 ISO 400 shutter 1/400

Tweak to suit your camera.

As it was a quick, grab the camera and shoot, here were the settings straight out of the box: f/5.6, 1/800 sec, ISO 1600.  If I had enough time to tweak things and to figure out the controls of the settings, I would have gone down to around ISO 400, but since I was leaning out of the bedroom window just to have a play around, not too bad to start documenting my progress with my new toy :) Fingers crossed for improvement! As I take more, I will upload them just for a record of our progress (other half is itching to learn too) and for more feedback.  Many Thanks

Archived