NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Having Fun With My Little Scope

PaulG

Being a newcomer to this site and Astronomy in general, we are really enjoying the night sky. We have been looking at Saturn and the ISS +ATV at every opportunity and constellations through the binoculars. Being a very green sky observer these are a few points that I’ve noticed so far

1. I’ve noticed more cloudy nights than I could ever have imagined (frustrating beyond belief)

2. I’ve become paranoid about stray light (must buy an observing hood) been using an AGV black motorbike helmet cloth carry bag over my head

3. I now have a greater appreciation for solid mounts after adopting the focus – wait 5 seconds – focus – wait 5 seconds technique

4. I really need a comfy seat while at the eyepiece (hope the neighbours haven’t seen me standing knocked kneed with hunched back and wearing a black hood over my head)

5. At x140 magnification Saturn travels blumming quick, almost too quick when I say “come and have a look through the telescope to my son” and it disappears out of sight

6. Never realised how long the Moon can be out of sight for, I’ve had my little Celestron for a whole two weeks and no Moon. When you don’t look up to the sky very often you assume the Moon is always about. Can’t wait for it to show its face again, I need a lunar fix

7. Never bargained on the other half being so jealous of a telescope (I’m sure she’s timing me every time I grab the scope to go outside)

Enjoying every minute so far except that when I look at Saturn I always think “ Got to have more magnification ”

Paul

It sounds like your having fun though.

1. Yep couldn't agree more... about 10:1 ratio at the moment!

2. You get used to it

3. As you read posts you'll read a lot of "buy the best mount you can afford", now you know why :D

4. I used a seat for a while, but the legs kept sinking into the grass (must lose weight)...

6. Even my sons school has said that the moon is visible all night every night and never during the day :(

7. My wife describes herself as an "Astronomy Widow"... :shocked:

It's fun, isn't it?

Ant

Nice one Paul, as Ant says, sounds like you're having fun. I agree with him, although my wife hasn't declared herself an astro widow yet, I think she still likes the novelty of me disappearing into the garden and leaving her to the TV.

5) I ended up getting a motorised tracking AltAz mount to stop this from happening. I don't know much about eq mounts, but it might be worth looking at a motor. I'm sure there are others who can suggest something appropriate.

Hi Paul, sounds like you are becoming a grumpy old astronomer like the rest of us :(.

You won't need much more magnification actually, anything much above x200 is pretty useless most of the time in the UK.

That scope with the 6.3mm ep in it is maxed out for even a very clear, still night. You will get your best results with the 10mm and 90x. 140x is the practical maximum, although you may be able to push that a little looking at the Moon. I know from experience that you can see bands on Jupiter with a 70mm scope, so the Cassini division in Saturn should be possible. You can also have a good time with clusters and brighter nebulae.

As you gain experience, you will soon want more scope, so make your next scope a bigger instrument, with a much sturdier mount.

Thank you for all of your replies

Ant – "Astronomy Widow" I like that one and yes its great fun !

SteelRat – Don’t know what it is about the Moon it just sucks me right in – must be the proximity and the magnificent views

Jgs001 – The jury’s out on the motorization just yet – Amateur radio is another hobby of mine so I’m used to a bit of knob twiddling :(

lightbucket – If I upgrade I’ve got the EQ5 on the short list so I’ll have to see how the budget goes

thing – What do you mean becoming grumpy, I’ve grumpy for years !

Warthog – Nice part of the world you live in. I bought the 6.3mm recently just to see how much more of Saturn I could see and the reality of it is not a lot more. I do see more detail like a bigger separation between the planet and the ring on each side, I can also see the ring passing around the front of Saturn. I can’t see the Cassini division though, and the color is uniform all over like a light tan color. I’ve only seen one of its moons so far.

Archived