Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Ho Amazon you are so kind to me - Bresser Barlow

Vox45

Amazon is a curious creature ...

Second time in a row that I buy something at Amazon and then the price just go up.

This time I got a Bresser SA-Barlow 3x (1.25 inch) for 86€ 2eeks ago, I went back today and find the exact same article at 126€ :) Not sure I understand Amazon's price policy but I do like it.

Anyways, as I was reading topics on Barlows on SGL, someone pointed out that there are also 'extender' that behave differently then 'barlows' and the Bresser SA is really an 'extender' ? Anyone has a take on this ? Not sure I understand the difference and the effect that this have for a AP planteray setup.

Yan

There is a useful web site called 'camelcamelcamel' that lets you see the price history of most items on Amazon - for instance

http://uk.camelcamelcamel.com/Bresser-Barlow-Lens-SA-3x-31-7mm/product/B004DZPC6K

It's very helpful for checking that you're not about to buy something when it is in one of its high price periods, and you can set up email alerts to be notified when the price drops to a particular point.

Hope this is useful,

Robin

When I buy something on Amazon I check the price history from camelcamelcamel to see how it is currently priced. For Amazon.co.uk and Amazon.com, I usually find everything tracked, but for Amazon.fr they don't seem to be complete so I did not find the barlow. But the hyperion from the other thread is here (not very long history) and also lowered a bit more in price.

I guess for Amazon.fr the service is not that good yet, but for UK or US amazon camelcamelcamel is very useful.

The SA Barlow is the same as my Meade S5K 3x TeleXtender, which is really a tele-centric lens, not a Barlow. VERY good piece of kit. I cannot tell the quality difference between the two TeleXtenders (2x and 3x) and the TV PowerMate (2.5x).

and to think that I was going to return it to buy a 'better' barlow as I thought that I had to pay more than 100€ to get something good... turns out I already had a good one in hand. Of course there are always priciers barlows ;)

There is a useful web site called 'camelcamelcamel' that lets you see the price history of most items on Amazon - for instance

http://uk.camelcamelcamel.com/Bresser-Barlow-Lens-SA-3x-31-7mm/product/B004DZPC6K

It's very helpful for checking that you're not about to buy something when it is in one of its high price periods, and you can set up email alerts to be notified when the price drops to a particular point.

Hope this is useful,

Robin

Ho I did not know about that website :) very usefull indeed ! thanks

Ah, I was just beat to it! I wasted some time reading your other thread and looking your purchases up though ;)

Still very useful :) thanks for sharing that tip ! The funny thing about the other thread and the Baader Zoom is that BOTH exact same items were selling on 2 different url for 2 different price on the same Amazon.fr website ... So if you did not search thoroughly you could buy the pricier one thinking it was the lowest price you could get :/

Still very useful :) thanks for sharing that tip ! The funny thing about the other thread and the Baader Zoom is that BOTH exact same items were selling on 2 different url for 2 different price on the same Amazon.fr website ... So if you did not search thoroughly you could buy the pricier one thinking it was the lowest price you could get :/

You have to be careful, the more expensive link was not actually sold by Amazon, but by a 3rd party seller. They could have sold it on the same page as Amazon, but they either did not notice it, or they wanted to try and sell it for more to people who, as you say, are not careful. In fact, regardless of the price if you don't buy something that specifically says sold by Amazon, then it is a bit like buying from ebay (i.e. it really depends on what kind of seller you end up getting it from). If you buy something sold by Amazon itself though, you are guaranteed great service (I assume Amazon.fr is about as good as the UK and US equivalents). For example if you ask politely they often go beyond their own rules. E.g. while after the 1st month I was only supposed to be covered by the manufacturer for an AV amplifier, I wrote and told them 6 months after buying it that the manufacturer wanted me to cover courrier which was expensive for such a heavy item and whether Amazon could help out (I hoped for some discounted shipping) and they just responded with a prepaid return label to send it back to Amazon for free and a full refund!

Also if you buy something, do look on the Amazon page again once you receive it. If the price was lowered in the interim, ask politely and they should refund! A while ago this worked for a full month after you ordered something, but people were taking too much advantage of that for things that drop quickly in price (like computer/electronic stuff), so they no longer have that.

Oh, and the most useful feature of the camelcamelcamel website is of course the alerts. Look at the historic price, put an alert near the historic low and you'll get an email when the price is hit again!

Archived