Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

School Solar Eclipse Event

jflowers

Here is a picture I put together of our school event. Went very well with only a few clouds during the first stage. We had 50 pairs of solar glasses, the school telescope (little one on the right NexStar 4SE), my Meade Lightbridge and 8" SCT, 25x70 binos and camera. All filtered thanks to FLO :)

About 300 students came to see at various stages and loved it!

March20thEclipse.jpg

Excellent.  My childrens' school also set up some telescopes (I think one may have had a Quark eyepiece from my son's description) and apparently pupils were queuing up to have a look.  Sad to hear that other schools didn't attempt to do something though.  When all you need is a pinhole camera, or if the sky is too cloudy get an internet video feed from somewhere that's a real shame and a wonderful opportunity to demonstrate how our solar system works missed, especially considering the impact the Moon has on our environment.

Not sure about the two people on the right of the photo though.  I think they might have taken the advice not to look directly at the Sun a little too far :)

James

Not sure about the two people on the right of the photo though.  I think they might have taken the advice not to look directly at the Sun a little too far :)

James

HAHA yes, actually they were students and I did not want their faces in the photo, so asked them to turn around :) 

What age ranges were there? and what did you do about managing safety?

Secondary, so 11-18. The usual warnings not to look directly at the sun drummed into them by the science teachers. I had attached securely and then gaffer taped as a precaution the filters into place, also each instrument had a member of staff watching over it. All in all the students were very well behaved.

Archived