NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Flip mirror for imaging ????

Hi all:

Are some members using a flip mirror for imaging?  I did get one some time ago for my c9.25sct but haven't tried it yet.   I know that it screws onto the rear of the scope, however is there a way it could be used in conjunction with my crayford style focusser?  Looks like I would have to use the focussing knob on the scope if I were to use the flip mirror ???

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Cheers

Roger

Yes you can ise it with a crayford, i do.

Sequence i have on the straight axis is:

Scope

Crayford

Flip mirror

Powermate

Rapid frame rate camera

On the flip axis i have:

Scope

Crayford

Flip mirror

Eye piece

Once you are in the ball park focal plane (using the original focus know on the scope) you can then fine tune the focus woth the crayford.

If you have fixed the primary inside the tube so it no longer moves, adding the flip mirror will add an extra bit of focal length at the rear or the scope, and you might not be able to achieve focus using just the crayford.

I've found two other important considerations:

- the focal point for an eye piece and a cameras sensor are quite different

- if using a barlow or powermate on one of the axes of the flip mirror, unless you do something similar on the other it can be difficult to have both in focus at the same time.

Trial and error.

But yes you cannuse the flip mirror and a crayford together.

James

Thank you

....my flip mirror has a 2" fermale coupling with SCT thread on scope end.  Looks like a 2" male end SCT thread adapter with 2" male nose piece on  other side (to fit into the crayford) would end up being similar to your setup

Much appreciated....I'll try hunt one down

Cheers

Roger

Post the name and model of your flip mirror.

I can't imagine anyone would have the order as:

Telescope

Flip mirror

Crayford

Camera...

This might sound daft, but have you got something the wrong way around?

The mirrors reflective face, when flipped down, should face the on coming light emerging from the visual back of the scope and dirtect it up the sode arm, changin it's path by 90*. When the mirror is flipped up, it has no interaction with the light path and allows the light straight through and unibstructed flip mirror chamber.

James

Thanks again James.....that is exactly the critter I would need.  As long as it had the SCT thread on the end!

There has to be one of these out there (I notice that site is for dealer prices only)

Cheers

Roger

Archived