NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Best size of TWO reflector telescopes to own together

What's your opinion on two ideal sizes of reflector telescopes to own together and why? Like maybe an 8" for portability and easy setup, and an 18" for even better views? Or maybe a newbie could start out with a cheaper 8" and then jump up to a larger someday and still use both a lot, like since the smaller telescope would have a wider FOV possibly.

If you can get to a dark sky site then an 8 inch F6 Newtonian will show you a lot of star field faint fuzzy objects etc.I once had a 12 inch f 6 Dobsonian.It never got used much as it was so heavy.No an 8 inch would be had to beat,especially for portability.Moonshane has a 6 inch F11 Dobsonian.Really good for Lunar and planets.

Maybe a slow F ratio 8 inch for the planets and as big as you think you can live with for deep sky, ideally at a fast F ratio. I'm not sure you can buy any slow Newts from the mass producers any more but you can certainly get them made by the craftsmen.

However, I'd rather have the smaller scope in Apo form myself, as damnut said above.

Olly

The best two reflectors are an SCT and a refractor :grin:

Or a dob and a refractor...

Maybe a slow F ratio 8 inch for the planets and as big as you think you can live with for deep sky, ideally at a fast F ratio. I'm not sure you can buy any slow Newts from the mass producers any more but you can certainly get them made by the craftsmen.

However, I'd rather have the smaller scope in Apo form myself, as damnut said above.

Olly

damnut and Olly,

When you mention a refractor, would you be using it more for astrophotography purposes?  As a newbie, I'm sort of confused what the benefit of a refractor would be (outside of wide-angle views and easy setup) vs a reflector, if only being used for visual use.

Hello Nwink, not sure anyone can answer you question as it boils down to your individual preferences, seeing conditions, carrying capability and budget.

My personal choice as I have a bad back for two complimentary reflectors would be a 7" Maksutov and a 10" very lightweight Dobsonian.

I used to have a very portable 8" SCT, I regretted selling it and I like having an 8" scope - very portable, good light grasp and slower ratio so great for planetary and home skies with good contrast. I now have an OOUK 8" F6 on a dobsonian base. I can lift this as one unit and easily carry outside, also narrow footprint for storage. Cools down quickly and is portable for family camping trips and so on. I also use an allotment for observing, five minutes from home and better than my back yard and is acceptably easy enough to transport here (in the car).

I feel that it complements my 14" F4.6, which I always take to dark sites when there is just myself using the car.

Here is a picture giving an idea of scale, an 8" scope such as this will be a good all-rounder. 

post-22819-0-34184100-1426872626.jpg

Hi Nwink,

Two reasons a frac, speed of set up and transportation. My favourite ever scope 10" sct, most used  ST120, not an apo as it was my grab and go scope. At home on the back seat in the boot or roof box. Impervious to sand, snow or dog slobber, bullet proof. If not needed for travel then  as Olly a good apo.

@ronin current armoury is four fracs and a silvered dinner plate :icon_king:

8" offers a lot, anything bigger offers more? But consider weight, portability, cost, and speed of the scopes focal ratio.

This will/may effect the type/ brand of eyepieces you may have to purchase to get the best from the scope!

A good pair of binoculars is my choice to accompany my telescope.

What's your opinion on two ideal sizes of reflector telescopes to own together and why? Like maybe an 8" for portability and easy setup, and an 18" for even better views? Or maybe a newbie could start out with a cheaper 8" and then jump up to a larger someday and still use both a lot, like since the smaller telescope would have a wider FOV possibly.

Spend some time doing research, then spend your hard earned money wisely, so your not disappointed and end up trying to unload undesirable gear at a loss. Consider contacting your local Astronomy Society or Astro Clubs in your region, and attend a few observing sessions where you can look at equipment first hand; this will help you to make an informed decision about what would suit your needs.

Edit: A quality 12" reflector can be a lifetime scope. It hits a sweet spot between aperture & portability.

Archived