Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

light pollution filters

Morning everybody, Are there different types / grades of light pollution filters I,m asking because at the moment i have a s/w light pollution & a uhc filter but when i guide for about 5 mins the shots come out a orangy brown @ 400 iso

thanks for any repies

Hi Bruno,

You might find this interesting - from the SGL sponsor's site : http://www.firstlightoptics.com/light-pollution-reduction/baader-neodymium-filter.html

The second reviewer finds this particular filter very versatile, like a "one size fits all". It would be interesting to hear other views here.

Will get one myself in all probability when I finally purchase a new 'scope.

Regards,

A

The one I've found the best is the Astronomik CLS filter. Has a wider pass-band than teh Baader UHC while still blocking the low-pressure sodium lines and most of the high-pressure ones. I have an IDAS P2 but find it less effective than the Astronomik for cutting out the sodium lines.

YMMV

thanks for the replies, I do have an Astronomik cls - ccd filter in my canon & also  light pollution filter in my f/flattener, but my FF is also  a focal reducer and it takes my focal length  down 4.7 so obviously it will let more light in  & i think this is the cause  I will change the f reducer to my normall field flattener and see if there is any difference will get back with the results.

Hi Bruno,

You might find this interesting - from the SGL sponsor's site : http://www.firstlightoptics.com/light-pollution-reduction/baader-neodymium-filter.html

The second reviewer finds this particular filter very versatile, like a "one size fits all". It would be interesting to hear other views here.

Will get one myself in all probability when I finally purchase a new 'scope.

Regards,

A

i use the baader neodymium filter (2") with my 12" dob - purely for visual - and find its brilliant. Half the time I dont even bother removing it when i go to dark sites, as its very unintrusive and doesnt reduce the number of visible stars or reduce image brightness of DSOs. But at home under the orange blanket i call a sky, its awesome.

it also very handily screws in to the filter thread on my 200mm camera lens, making a brilliantly effective LP filter when I do widefields.

I have the Baader as well in 2 inch format and various stepper rings to fit my camera lens.

Mix of led and orange and for my foray into imaging it has helped loads. I haven't used anything else and can't use it visually as have 1.25 focuser.

Archived