Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Tripod extension tube

jambouk

I use one of these on my NEQ6pro mount.

The C11 and spectroscopes needs 4 counterweights, so there's a fair load up top.

It works very well. No issues, no drama.

(I'm about to set-up a permanent pier - it will have a M12 x1.75 centre bolt to take the extension (rather than having the complex?! Owl cage arrangement) Much neater and functional)

Hi James,

Had one on my NEQ6 helped a lot when imaging by giving a lot of extra clearance for the camera, i.e. cleared the tripod legs.

Very solid and  stable if set up correctly and well worth the cost. Just be careful of the ball bearing, make sure it is centred correctly or the tube will move slightly as it does not tighten up properly. Done correctly it's a great addition.

Derek

• 4 weeks later...

There is a slight amount of rotation when attempting to turn it, where the extnesion sits on the top of the tripod, even when the central [original] bolt is screwed tight into the extension tube. I suspect this wouldn't rotate ynder normal circumstances but i'm conscious it would be relatively easy to knock the aet up and knock the PA out. I feel it needs a large rubber washer between the extension tube and the tripod head, but it doesn't come with one and i'm worried futting one may reduce stability innother directions.

Have others noticed this? Done anything about it?

James

Ordered a BOA wrench; never heard of one before. I'm slightly scared that something will break if i tighten too much. It wouldn't be the first time i've snapped a skywatcher bolt!

I'll experiment with the fine sand paper today. I still feel a large thin rubber washer would do the trick.

James

I've recently replaced the tripod on the NEQ6 with a pillar. This has a M12 x 1.75 central bolt.

The extension just screws onto the bolt (with the bottom disk inverted) - the BOA pulls it up nice and tight! - I don't think you'll break an M12 bolt!

Looks MUCH better than those "Owl Cage" attachments.

IMHO the rubber is too soft, and when you tighten down hard it will just shear.......

Edited by Merlin66

I'll wait and try the wrench. Looking at the two surfaces, i think the point of contact is the outer rin of the extension tube (a couple of mm thick) which is painted white, on to the white paint surface at the top of the tripod, so is one slippy surface on another. The central puck inside the extension tube doesn't seem to sit on the tripod, it is sunken into the tube by a mm or so other than the nose piece which slits into the sunken hole in the centre of the tripod.

I'll experiment with various materials between the two slippy surfaces.

James

James,

Are you sure that it is not the bearing not being centred. I had the

At problem at first. The roller bearing was not properly centred when Input it together the first time which allowed the movement.

Derek

No, appling the BOA to the hand screw underneath which sits between the tripod legs. I can't see how putting it around the extension tube would help... Clearly i've got the wrong end of the stick [bOA] :)

James

Hmmm

OK

My central bolt is fixed in the pier...

I then assemble the extension and "wind" it down hard using the BOA around it....

If you can jamb the central bolt/ knob/ between the tripod legs you could probably use the same method - or a BOA on each?.

• 4 weeks later...

Hi All.

I have just bought this extension (used) They had never used it so did not know how it was put together. Any way I only got the tube, the upper and lower plates and 3 outer bolts and 3 outer screws. I don't have anything else can you tell me what i'm missing?

Cheers.

Does the top puck have a central bolt to screw into the base of your mount? If so, i think that is everything. A puck top and bottom, the tube, and a central bolt at the top to screw into the mount.

James

The lower puck just has a threaded central hole through which the mounts existing bolt screws. The top puck (on mine anyway) has a bolt already in situ which is not removable from memory; no idea of length. Mine is currently all set up so i can't measure it for you. Astroboot sell a load of random bits, ask them.

James