Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

9x50 Finderscope Cross-Hair repair

DeanSL

Let me start by saying, I am no engineer,this may be an obviously easy repair and I may be the only person ever to need to repair them, but I thought i would share the repair!

My recently purchased telescope's finderscope had what i initially thought was loose hair in it, until I found out it was supposed to have cross-hairs! After initially think I could do without I thought about seeing if it was glued up or screwed up, luckily it seems that things are still made using threads rather than glue and I had soon unscrewed the eyepiece end

post-42652-0-58866000-1426695777.png

Only a gentle nudge with a flat headed screwdriver got the small threaded disc that the cross-hairs are stuck to turning, I unscrewed it by hand, be careful not to turn it upside down or the lenses may fall out! (This picture was taken after the repair!)

post-42652-0-29387300-1426695907.png

I used a scalpel to remove the broken cross-hairs and clean up the area where they were attached. Luckily there are small grooves in this disc to help align the cross-hairs. For the cross-hairs I had a search on the internet and one recommendation was the fine copper wire in the in-ear headphone leads, although I didn't have any of these I did have various broken iPod charging cables. I stripped these back and used the wire from these, visually they seemed the same thickness as the ones I was replacing. I taped the wires down flat over the small grooves to make a cross, I then added more tape nearer to the disc to increase the tension. Finally I used my daughters false nail superglue to adhere the wire to the disc.

post-42652-0-29891200-1426696230.png

A few minutes later I trimmed the excess and screwed it all back together, job done!

• Like 5

Low breaking strain fishing line too but I've never had to do it.

I wanted a cross hair eyepiece for aligning a scope so bought a Chinese 10x microscope objective with cross hairs- Ebay. I will need to turn up a sleeve to convert it to 1 1/4. For the price I was surprised by the quality. It's an eyepiece for a compound rather than a stereo microscope so the field of view is limited to  around 16mm.  Focal length 250mm / magnification so 25mm in my case.  They have an accurate scale on one of the axis so it might be possible to use them for polar alignment. I didn't fancy the price of the astro ones for the amount of use it will have.

John

-

I made a very successful finder using a pin rather than cross-hairs. The tip of the pin (or needle) is placed at the center, and in use it does not obscure the object you're aligning on (if you get my point :-)

/callump

• 5 years later...