Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

The Fishhead Nebula and Mel 15 in HST

Dave Smith

This image is my first proper trial of using a finder/guider instead of using a finder scope side by side with the main scope and I am delighted to get sub arcsec rms with this arrangement.

Taken mostly on Friday evening when it was unexpectedly clear this consists of around 30 x 600s in Ha. The colour has been taken from an image I did around this time last year with a Canon 200mm lens.

FishheadHST02.jpg

Dave

Thanks Rob, yes I mistakenly believed that a finder/guider was for someone who hadn't yet obtained a second scope to guide with (or an OAG) and was just a temporary solution until it could be done properly !!! How wrong I was.

Dave

Great image Dave :)  I'm considering using a finderscope for guiding on my 400mm triple imaging rig.  It's a tossup between that or an old telephoto lens.  Used with the LodeStar X2 guide camera.  I shall probably try both.

Thanks Gina. It was Carole's dual imaging rig that got me thinking about this. My first step was to try the finder/guider which is a success. The next step will be to use both my Megrez scopes at the same time. Unfortunately I won't be able to afford a second CCD camera but will be able to use my modded DSLR.

Dave

Archived