Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Seeing and hearing the sun

spaceboy

Not sure if this is in the right section ?

What I have enjoyed most about Ha over white light is the real time changes and feel of extreme activity over the surface. I enjoy white light but it always feels so peaceful and you don't really get the idea of the turbulent and explosive nature of the sun.

It got me thinking it would be nice to have something else going on in the background rather than birds happily chirping. It's all very pleasant but when looking at a prom that is 2-3 times the size of the earth I'd rather have explosions and fight scenes from Rambo playing in dolby surround sound.

Then I got thinking wouldn't it be nice to hook up something so I can actually listen to the sun while I observe.

So I guess my question is going to be is there a nice simple way to listen to radio waves emitted from the sun ? I know people use old satellite dishes but I was hoping there might be something I could piggy back on my scope so I can listen as I track visually. My thoughts are the sun is pretty big and has a lot going on so do you really need a 60cm dish to pick up noise ?? If you do need something that big, what would be the easiest way to set it up to track the sun and what other bit's and bobs would be needed ??

Sorry if my ignorance is laughable but I had hoped to ask about radio astronomy at PSP2014 but I didn't know who to ask and no-one was stood with the equipment.

Not sure about the explosions and fight scenes, Spaceboy, but it's a good idea.

I might go more for laid-back Beach Boys than Wagner, but happy to read others' ideas.

(If this turns into a 'My favourite solar track' thread it could run and run ..... and keep running!)

I know NASA do sounds of the sun clips, I am not too sure how long I could listen to it for its a bit of a drone. Tchaikovskys 1812 overture fits well as does the 4 seasons from Vivaldi :laugh:

Spaceboy, now there's a thought :smile: . Solar radio astronomy. As I'm currently dabbling with radio meteor detection this caught my eye; perhaps something I'll have to look into further.

A quick Google turned this up: http://star.arm.ac.uk/summerschool2012/Alexey_Kuznetsov.pdf. It's a powerpoint presentation on "Radio observations of solar flares, planets and brown dwarfs". Good for a bit of background reading before venturing further.

Ian

At tomorrows SGLX solar eclipse outreach event there is a member of Herefordshire Astro Society who is a radio astronomer. Norman is bringing kit tomorrow and I assume its to hear the Sun.

Nick look him up - I guess he will have a table near the observing site. If you want an introduction give me a shout.

This looks a promising idea https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c_732G4nS9c http://www.stargazing.net/david/radio/itty_bitty_radio_telescope.html

Not sure how long I'd want to listen to it for but I guess the software records the data so I would at least have a visual graph and audio reference running in the background if there was something interesting to happen while I was observing. I bet this dish set up could easily fit on an eq mount for tracking so it can do it's thing while I get on with some visual.

P.S Thanks Mark but as you already know I missed out :(

Archived