NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

comments for my first setup

Hi all, first post!

Anyhoo I have always loved the night sky! We were far too poor when I was young to get a decent telescope but I saved 2 pounds a week from the scrap yard and bought an awesome refractor telescope... Wow the moon! Never saw a planet...

but was given a second wind when my son got into planets... I laughed when he told me a dwarf planet was called makemake.. Only to be humbled ha ha

so I thought I'd try and give him what I always wanted (doesn't hurt I get to play too).

Anyway I have done a little research and decided reflector was easiest to go with and have got...

6 inch f6 fg1 newtonian reflector made by astronomy systems on 1987 in lovely condition.

My question...s are

Is this a good setup for viewing Jupiter and Saturn?

Am I likely to be able to get any details of the other planets further out in the solar system? (Neptune etc)

Also what are the more visually appealing views of deep space objects? Something that will wow my kids.

Also lens wise, I have a 25mm I'm getting a 8mm but was toying with a zoom one (from 30ish down to 8is), is it worth doing or manually switch out?

Oh and lastly filters I have an astrophotography adapter but was wondering what filters I might need?

Sorry if I have waffled ha ha I have a rubbish memory so have to get as much in as I can before its gone forever!

Thanks guys

Not sure is the answer, 6" f/6, 1987 ?????

If the mirror is not parabolic then I suspect the view will not be great, if it is parabolic then at f/6 it should be fine.

That really is the question.

Back to "normal" numbers 150/900, so a 25mm will give 36x and 8mm 112x.

Oddly 36x is likely not quite enough for Jupiter, it will still be small and also bright, moons will show up will around Jupiter.

8mm should be good but I would have thought a 12mm would have been useful (75x).

The 8mm should be good for Saturn.

What mount is the scope on and find out about the mirror figure.

Hello Jaffa, welcome to this forum. I was a founder director of AstroSystems that made the telescope that you have. They are one of the best 6" F6 telescopes available, not because we made them but because they contained optics provided by the legendary David Hinds, they were typically 1/10 wave quality. The telescope should give you outstanding views of the Moon, Saturn, Jupiter and Mars when well placed. You will be able to see Uranus and Neptune but only as small discs, no detail other than colour.  You may or maybe not want to know that the FG1 stood for "Flogglegroper 1"     :smiley:  

DSO how about M45, M31, M42 and M44 to get going. Oh and if you are quick find Comet Lovejoy.

Turn Left at Orion is a great book and Stellarium is free to download.

You might want at least a colimation cap for your telescope. Can make one using an old film canister lid.

Thanks Peter... What is a Flogglegroper ha ha genuinely excited to give it a go! thanks for the advice guys I will read turn left at orion and will look for the objects you suggested. Any views on the zoom lens?

Parabolic 6" f/6 should be a nice scope, just long enough that it is easy to live with.

More sensible I suspect that the f/5's that are more common these days.

Thats your son's scope sorted, now what are you going to get?? :grin: :grin: :grin:

Thanks guys it's good to have a place to mill about with people as interested as I am! No one likes astronomy in my family... That is except my son ha ha until they get a load of the sites I'm going to show them!

And I think this scope will do for a while ha ha as I said I've only ever looked through one I got from a catalogue 25 years ago so this should be a real eye opener!

It has a camera attachment so I will try and upload some pictures when and if I get a chance!

Is it worth storing outside under cover to avoid waiting times or would that not be a good idea?

Hi Jaffa and welcome to SGL.

Reading the posts from Peter Drew it seems that you've landed yourself a great scope which will be ideal for planetary and lunar viewing.

Where in the UK are you, I ask as Peter runs the Todmorden Astro Centre and if you're close a trip there would be well worth your while.

Good luck and keep us informed of your progress.

Good to know but I'm in Devon so maybe as a weekend away one day depending if the boys enthusiasm rubs off on the wife! Now you mentioned it I found Norman Lockyer Observatory near me... All worth considering!...

Only a different note, are there any benefits to watching the solar eclipse (with filters) with a scope? I ask as it will be my birthday and it is a supermoon (at least I think it is) so it's a bit special on my special day ha ha

Archived