NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Sun 2015-03-08, white light, pretty mediocre result.

TractionMan

It's been quite a while since I tried to image the sun (last summer), and with the upcoming solar eclipse, it was about time to get started again. Had some issues with RegiStax and 16bit TIFF's, so I had to use 8bit BMP's to get it up and running. The material I had to work with wasn't that great to begin with either, since I messed up focus a bit on quite a few of the images. Was able to stack 11 out of 26 images. Conclusion: I need more practice! :cool:

Equipment used:

Skywatcher Skymax 90 with Baader AstroSolar Safety Film

Sony SLT A77

Benro A4570T tripod (very sturdy)

Triton AZ mount (ok for quick visual sessions, not so good for photo sessions)

RegiStax 6

Photoshop Elements 11

I'll be using my GSO ATZ mount next time I try to image the sun, since it's way more stable and sturdy than the Triton AZ.

post-22147-0-88391700-1425896980_thumb.j

Nice result.

Thank you!

Super full disc, some very nice fine details :) :) :)

Alexandra

Thanks for the comment. Some detail, but not as much as previous attempts last year. But I'll be back at it again. :grin:

Not bad at all!

Thank you. Hopefully I'll be able to get try some more imaging during the next few day to try and improve things. Was able to focus better last year, not sure why. Not giving up, I'm having way too much fun!

That's very good - hope you get to see the eclipse - it must be frustratingly near total for you.

I really hope I get to see the eclipse as well, although it will only be some 79% from where I'm located.

Archived