Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Not great but has potential (Atik314, 200mm f2.8)

thenews24

I finally received the geoptik adapter to fit my 200mm f2.8 to the Atik. This is my first image with it. Shot on 3/7/2014. I chose this region cause it is easy to find and I wanted to get started asap before the moon rose. I got an hour in before it completely washed out at 10 min subs. This is 6 X 600 sec. I currently only have a UV/IR cut, so was expecting bloated stars, but underestimated the fast 2.8.

I'm assuming I will be able to shoot 10 min or even 20 min subs in HA without so much bloating (if left wide open at f2.8)? Especially under better conditions with more time.

I am looking at the Baader 7nm. Is it worth the extra money to go Astrodon at the narrower pass of 3nm? My LP is moderate. I'm planning on dedicating some time to the 314, so am content with 1.25".

This was proccessed in Pixinsight, and I used a few star reduction tools to the best of my ability.

Thanks in advance for any advice anybody has on pursuing narrowband with this setup. 

post-20418-0-84588400-1425851212_thumb.j

Nice image.

I have just put together a similar setup with my 200mm f4 L series lens but haven't had a chance to try it out.

I suspect the bloated stars are just over-exposed as the lens is very well corrected and you used an IR/UV filter.

I would have been tempted to get some shorter exposures too.

I've used a similar rig to yours in the past. The beauty of the Astrodons would be the tiny, tiny stars you'd get in narrowband. This would be imortant in standalone Ha or bi/tricolour narrowband but less important if you were using Ha to add to broadband.

Olly

I've used a similar rig to yours in the past. The beauty of the Astrodons would be the tiny, tiny stars you'd get in narrowband. This would be imortant in standalone Ha or bi/tricolour narrowband but less important if you were using Ha to add to broadband.

Olly

Thanks Olly. Yeah, I'd like to just concentrate on stand alone HA for a good while, I only get out maybe once a month. I like the idea of a very narrow high quality filter, so think I'll pull the trigger on Astrodon. Good investment for the long run I say

Thanks Olly. Yeah, I'd like to just concentrate on stand alone HA for a good while, I only get out maybe once a month. I like the idea of a very narrow high quality filter, so think I'll pull the trigger on Astrodon. Good investment for the long run I say

The difference in star size is dramatic and at short FL this will give a classy look to your images.

Olly

The difference in star size is dramatic and at short FL this will give a classy look to your images.

Olly

I like the sound fo that! However, should I be concerned using the 3nm at f2.8. Should I go wider for this fast setup? Thanks again

I use a 3nm Astrodon with a similar set-up and the results are great.

e.g. http://astrosnaps.co.uk/Heart02.html

http://astrosnaps.co.uk/IC1396nb.html

http://astrosnaps.co.uk/ngc1499-2.html

Dave

Thanks Dave, good to know and great images btw. Who knows what will be on the market by the time my budget opens up for larger sensor, but the 460 looks attractive.

Archived