Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

The Sun - 7th Mar 2015 - H alpha edition

David Smith

Well, BBC weather forecast is absolute rubbish today. Cloud has cleared away nicely leaving a bright sunny day. Shame about the wind and poor seeing but you have to take what you can get. Rather than re-shooting my white light I decided to get the PST out and see what I could see, which inevitably lead to the foolish idea that I could image under these conditions :embarrassed:

Anyway persevered and got something even if they are not the best. All shot with the QHY5-II mono, PST, Revelation 2x barlow and shot with EZPlanetary software. All were roughly 1000 frame SER video files stacked in AS!2 at 20%, sharpened in Registax5.1 and finished in GIMP2.8.

First up the new spot / group on the east limb

16716374226_2253ebd18e_o.png20150307_AR1 by David_The_Bears_Fan, on Flickr

Then the west limb, guess the camera settings triggered the newton rings in this one as the optical setup was identical

16556159429_6a4ce9e3e0_o.png20150307_WestLimb by David_The_Bears_Fan, on Flickr

Then the proms on the west limb

16535008887_461d13927f_o.png20150307_Prom1 by David_The_Bears_Fan, on Flickr

16716374786_a5e9e75e26_o.png20150307_Prom2 by David_The_Bears_Fan, on Flickr

I'm sure someone will do this properly later :tongue:

Nice shots, David, tough conditions today for those of us without a solar garage.

AS2 is coughing and spluttering trying to stack my movies! But happy to get some clear.

I mainly have BBC Weather bookmarked for comedy value :D

Great shots. I loved the bbc prexiction of cloud today. I started off grumpy imaging through haze nows its glorious but very wobly. Ive had to stop as im running out of disk space

Fantastic shots :) :) :) Yes I couldn't believe it went sunny in the afternoon too, set up and cried when I saw the seeing. I think with seeing as it was I would stack at least only the best 5%, this may improve the clarity, 20% will be far too many. Mine were so bad they didn't stack properly and I have never had this before.

Alexandra

Fantastic shots :) :) :) Yes I couldn't believe it went sunny in the afternoon too, set up and cried when I saw the seeing. I think with seeing as it was I would stack at least only the best 5%, this may improve the clarity, 20% will be far too many. Mine were so bad they didn't stack properly and I have never had this before.

Alexandra

I think you may be right. I did think whilst I was processing the last one :tongue: that I probably should have dropped it down to 10 if not 5%. May try reprocessing them later if I get chance.

Archived