My first post and purchasing an upgraded telescope

I currently own a Celestron C8+ and I'm looking at going to a C11.

How much of a difference is the C11 compared to the C11 HD?

When considering:

Visual viewing of deep sky?

Visual viewing of planets?

CCD imagining of deep sky?

CCD imagining of planets?

Also thank you very much for allowing me on this online group!   I've already found a wealth of information and hope to become an active participant here over the years.

Hi. The main thing in your choice is that you will be going from a FL of 2m to one of 2.8m.  Thats a lot for an already long FL scope.  Therefore your FOV will be relatively small.  So, great for planets but not for many DSOs.  At F10 and such a long focal length you can only really image in comfort on planets and maybe planetary nebulae. Having said that I have attempted DSO imaging with my C9.25 but it is certainly not for the faint hearted. You can see examples at my Flickr page in my sig.

Before you do anything, check FOV calculators on line such as this one: http://www.12dstring.me.uk/fovcalc.php

I'm thinking of doing the same as you - going from an C8 to a C11.  As far as I can tell, most of the comments you have received so far relate to imaging DSOs.  I agree that this might be more than challenging with such a long F/L and if DSOs are your thing, then perhaps a different (additional) scope would be the way to go.  

For planetary work, however, I do wonder whether a C11 would be a significant step forward.  And here your question becomes relevant.  Purely for planetary imaging, does the C11 Edge offer any advantage over the regular C11 (there is a significant jump in price between the two models)?  I'd be inclined to think that the Edge would offer no significant advantage for planetary imaging over the non-Edge.  But, I don't really know  - I am still a beginner.  What I also don't know is if an Edge would give an advantage over a non-Edge scope when doing lunar imaging.  Will the built-in flattener have an impact on lunar imaging where the surface of the moon will fill the frame of your capturing device.  

I am looking forward to hearing the thoughts of people more expert than I.

The C11 Edge HD can also be a F/2 Astrograph.  

Also, it seems the focal reducers for the C11 Edge HD are readily available now.   The link above to an older thread was largely focused on issues that the reducers were not available.

Thoughts?

I sold my a C11 & bought this.It was on a CG-5 Mount.
http://www.firstlightoptics.com/cpc-deluxe-hd/celestron-cpc-deluxe-800-hd.html
I only do planetary imaging, so this was ideal.
The optics are way in front of the C11.So easy
to set up & use. Sometimes bigger is not always
better. Getting better results out of this, than
I ever did with the C11.The C11 HD scope, is the
next generation of Celestron scopes.Loads of people
use them now. No good for DSO imaging, but everything
else. :headbang: 

Steve

Looks like I picked the wrong time to sell my C8 SCT and upgrade to a C11 with so many other people doing the same LOLOL!

David

I'm still in the planning stages of my upgrade.    At present it is:

-C11 HD OTA with correct mounting plate for a Paramount MyT
-A Paramount MyT
-Parmount MyT tripod
-QSI 683CWSG CCD

I'm trying to validate the wisdom of the C11 HD vs a C11.  

• 2 weeks later...

I'm still in the planning stages of my upgrade.    At present it is:

-C11 HD OTA with correct mounting plate for a Paramount MyT
-A Paramount MyT
-Parmount MyT tripod
-QSI 683CWSG CCD

I'm trying to validate the wisdom of the C11 HD vs a C11.  

I've had a change of heart on upgrading.

I spoke to some people who advised me that as I was using the C11 for observing it might not be the best bet due to the often poor seeing conditions here. The 8 and 9.25 are supposedly better for our skies.

Another thing was that I used my C8 for the first time under good skies at SGLX and was astounded at the views I got of Jupiter and M42 - amongst others - it really did do well..

Good luck with your upgrade - it looks like it will be an amazing set up - wish I had the cash for that!! :-)

David

Archived