Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

The moon, for the first time

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yes, we have used the 7mm on the moon during one episode. The Barlow remains lonely, unused. We'll get to it soon enough.

I'm glad that you are enjoying your new scope so much.  I wouldn't go chasing too much magnification, if I were you.  I believe your telescope has a focal length of 1200mm.  You can calculate the magnification by dividing this number by the focal length of the eyepiece that you are using.  So, your 7mm eyepiece was giving you a magnification of 1200/7 = 171.4 X.  That should be plenty - indeed it may be too much if you are observing from indoors through a window.  Jupiter should give up superb views anywhere between 100-200X (so you are already there).  Plus, you may find that you get 'sharper' or more detailed views at lower magnifications (even though the disc will - obviously - be smaller).  It depends on the 'seeing conditions' on the night.   In my own situation, I often find that the better view of Jupiter is nearer the 100-150X than the 200X.

For many Deep Sky Objects you will require significantly less magnification that this.   For the Pleiades and Orion Nebula, for example, you will probably want to go as widefield as you can.

Regarding the moon viewing - are you using a filter of any sort?.  I find the moon uncomfortably bright in my 8" scope.   You can pick up relatively inexpensive variable polariser or neutral density filters that will screw into the scope-end of the eyepiece and will allow you to 'stare' at the moon for longer than you are able if at maximum brightness.  I have one of these - http://www.firstlightoptics.com/moon-neutral-density-filters/baader-neutral-density-moon-filters.html

Not sure what can be done about your particular viewing issues.  I don't have a Dobsonian, but I believe that some folks will experiment with raising the height of the scope by putting it on a platform of some sort.  I have heard of people putting their scope on a water-butt stand - http://www.amazon.co.uk/ebertSankey-Water-Butt-Stand-Black/dp/B000A63K6U  See also the picture in post 5 of this thread - http://stargazerslounge.com/topic/168750-water-butt-stand-for-250-10-dob/  I don't know if something like this would be helpful to you or not.

Finally, once it warms up a bit and you can get out it may be helpful to have a guide as to some of the objects that you will be able to find easily.  Most folks will recommend either - http://www.amazon.com/Turn-Left-Orion-Hundreds-Telescope/dp/0521153972 or http://www.amazon.com/NightWatch-Practical-Guide-Viewing-Universe/dp/155407147X/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1427359897&sr=1-1&keywords=nightwatch  There is so much valuable information in these books that you may end up doing what I did, and buying both.

Good luck 

As another entrant into the world of star-gazing, I dutifully set up the scope in the garden and trained it on the moon last night, summoning the family into the chill evening. Reluctantly and with an indulgent air, wife and daughter trooped out and peered into the eyepiece...and kept peering. Five seconds later came an astonished '...but you can see craters and everything...' and '...wow, how cool is that...'

Family are now seriously talking about a trip to Galloway later this year!

As another entrant into the world of star-gazing, I dutifully set up the scope in the garden and trained it on the moon last night, summoning the family into the chill evening. Reluctantly and with an indulgent air, wife and daughter trooped out and peered into the eyepiece...and kept peering. Five seconds later came an astonished '...but you can see craters and everything...' and '...wow, how cool is that...'

Family are now seriously talking about a trip to Galloway later this year!

You are obviously going to need a second/third scope or you won't be spending much time at the eyepiece yourself  :p

You are obviously going to need a second/third scope or you won't be spending much time at the eyepiece yourself  :p

I'm already working on this by introducing Mrs Mandopicker and Miss Mandopicker to the child-friendly SW Infinity scope (the one that looks vaguely like a blue penguin subjected to partial cyber-conversion).

It looks infinitely better suited to junior star-gazing than my 30 year old Boot binocs (lighter, cuter, sits on a table, doesn't have emotional ties for Mr Mandopicker...)

Gnomus... Thank you for the suggestion of a scope stand. This idea may add comfort during certain situations. I do appreciate it.

I certainly would like to purchase those two books, I have them ready to order from Amazon. Got to pay bills first, this hobby comes second. Or so says the wife.

Moon filter? No, wr don't have one yet. Its on the list now. Thank you for the help.

Gnomus... Thank you for the suggestion of a scope stand. This idea may add comfort during certain situations. I do appreciate it.

I certainly would like to purchase those two books, I have them ready to order from Amazon. Got to pay bills first, this hobby comes second. Or so says the wife.

Moon filter? No, wr don't have one yet. Its on the list now. Thank you for the help.

You are welcome.

You can buy adapters for phones these days, to sit in front of the eye piece.

It is possible to just hold the phone in front of the eye piece, but it is a bit tricky and requires a steady hand.

And obviously, you need to be sensible with your expectations.

One of the year 5s took this pic in school on the 20th. :)

post-26467-0-31442500-1427561086_thumb.j

• 4 weeks later...

My daughter Pferris noticed the half-moon was shining directly out our window, so we took a look. It was very nice evening.

Here is a picture. We pointed a smart phone into the eye piece.

Telescope is an Orion 80mm GoScope with a 10mm eye piece.

post-41712-0-52033400-1430262445_thumb.j

We're going through spring thaw now. Weather is lousy... Cloudy, occasional rain, occasional snow and blowing snow. It clears up enough though.

We're gaining on 24/7 sunshine, too. We look forward to fall darkness though.

Archived