NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

GRS heads up

Stu

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi Stu, just watching the moon / shadow on Stellarium and wondering how accurate it is, does it agree with your app ?

Dave

Strange you say that Dave, no it doesn't match SkySafari unless I turn the light time compensation off which makes no sense.

With light comp on

dde0deb69e771cfbf5307787a2e27c9d.jpg

But with it off this is what I'm seeing

1c122df9cd908f3770019e0eb3b56268.jpg

Having said that, I didn't see the moon go into transit. Is Ganymede dark too?

EDIT: to be clear, I am seeing the same as the first image but the moon is dark against the planet, no shadow yet and it is now cloudy. Hoping for a clear patch soon.

Gusty wind here but when it drops and the seeing steadies I'm getting nice views

Ok, I'll blame baby brain for this one!

Skysafari is correct (of course), I just don't remember Ganymede being that dark? So, the first shadow is the moon, and the actual shadow is much darker and sharper, following along behind.

I was set up Saturday night, the skies were clear, but the seeing was absolutely terrible from my back garden - usually when the seeing is bad, you can just get the odd second or two "break" in the seeing - but Saturday night was probably the poorest night I've seen in a while.  I could make out the GRS only by colour with no real definition at all and no breaks in the seeing  - I can usually see detail around the banding with white ovals being really easy to pick out - going off memory I think there was a large storm in the North Equatorial belt more or less directly above the GRS in longitude.

Just have to put these nights down to "experience" - it certainly makes the really good nights remain in memory.

Not so good tonight - had rain showers early on lasting up untill about 9:30 - so another night on the lounge!!

Paul.

Not too bad down here, in between the cloud - seeing was fair to good, but the wind was a real PITA.   Without the constant movement and vibration from the wind, I reckon I'd have got some pretty decent data considering.    Wrong time for the GRS though ;)

Quick RRGB:

post-26731-0-59269400-1424735350.png

Archived