NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

EQ3-2 pro cyclical click

Kropster

Evening All

My EQ3-2 pro has developed a cyclical clicking noise... about once a second or so.

It varies, from quiet to quite loud with or without a heavy load.

Is it gear teeth?

Is it fixable or do I just save up for an NEQ6?!

Thanks in advance.

Evening All

My EQ3-2 pro has developed a cyclical clicking noise... about once a second or so.

It varies, from quiet to quite loud with or without a heavy load.

Is it gear teeth?

Is it fixable or do I just save up for an NEQ6?!

Thanks in advance.

You need to adjust the grub screws that mesh the worm to the gears for both axis. Aim for free rotating axis with a moderate load with minimal backlash but not too tight. Astrobaby has a very good instruction for doing the HEQ5 and NEQ6 but I guess that it equally applies to your mount as well.

A.G

Had the same problem before with my EQ3-2, turned out to be a problem with the Motorbox given incorrect commands if I remember?  Informed the dealer who I brought the mount from and after a lot of e mails (was out of warrently by a few months) I got a new Motorbox and mount?  This is a known problem with these mounts, NickH (on SGL) helped me out with is.  If I was at home I could look at the mount and see what was replaced.  Try the grub screw method first to see if that sorts the problem.

Happy repairing.

Peter

Thanks for all the advice..... I will go down the grub screw path.

This is the synscan pro version, that has stepper motors, so does the grub screw thing still apply?

Are they easy to get at? I don't want to dismantle stuff unnecessarily  :eek:

Took the RA motor cover off and could see the shaft that carries the worm drive jumping on each click, so I had a play with the allen bolts on the RA drive worm gear housing.

That seems to have done the trick. I think the mesh may have been too tight and causing binding.

All well now.

Thanks for the tips.

Archived