Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Mount Power Fuse Box

Gina

I've managed to get the EQ8 packing case out from under the bench in the warm room and into the scope room next to the pier so I should be able to take the EQ8 off the pier head and onto the packing case.  That would eliminate leakage through the pier.

• Replies 193
  • Created
  • Last Reply

EQ8 detached and lifted off pier and onto box.  CdC used to connect mount as usual.  Mount powered from bench PSU with parallel batteries.  Stayed connected for nearly 15 minutes before dropping out.  What can I say?...  Better but not cured.

OK so anyone suggest what I try next?  Please :)

Hi Gina,

This might sound a bit simple but have you tested the power lead for breaks? might be just it's a really bad connection and the mount can't draw the current so dropping out? I know it would flash the power light if this was the case and has several modes to the power light looking at the instructions? I have had a broken power lead on HEQ5 that did not flash but was breaking down so not drawing enough current.  I've also read that someone had a faulty standard 5A power supply but you have it powered off batteries. The person in question went to a 7A and had no further problems? 

I don't own an EQ8 so just a guess coming from a manual push to type of guy which doesn't go wrong and run's on chocolate bars

Damian

Hi Gina,

This might sound a bit simple but have you tested the power lead for breaks? might be just it's a really bad connection and the mount can't draw the current so dropping out? I know it would flash the power light if this was the case and has several modes to the power light looking at the instructions? I have had a broken power lead on HEQ5 that did not flash but was breaking down so not drawing enough current.  I've also read that someone had a faulty standard 5A power supply but you have it powered off batteries. The person in question went to a 7A and had no further problems? 

I don't own an EQ8 so just a guess coming from a manual push to type of guy which doesn't go wrong and run's on chocolate bars

Damian

Thanks for that Damian :)  I could try replacing the power lead - I have the same connector on my imaging power box so I could plug that in :)

Thanks for your replies :)  I'll answer individual points shortly...

Just popped out and checked that the mount is still tracking, and it is, I can tell by the sound it makes.  So running directly off 13.3v as shown by the digital A/V meter the mount continues to run but stops sending position data back to CdC and doesn't respond to data from CdC.  I'll check later if the mount still tracks with 12.3v or less.

What happens when you run the mount normally with the Synscan instead of using the EQ cable?

Haven't tried but I'm not sure that would tell us anything since it's the EQ mode I'm using.

I'm coming to the conclusion that the mount power supply has nothing to do with it.  Running times vary but in no logical way.  I'm pretty sure the problem is in the data connection.

It would be possible to take the NEQ6 mount out to the pier though it's an awkward shaped lump to carry and even worse to hump up onto a pier.  I haven't got a hoist rigged up ATM - had to move the motor unit when I added the extra storm security.  I don't think this would prove anything though - unless it doesn't work in the obsy environment and I can't see that.

Just a couple of suggestions from a distance

Have you tried un installing all the software and re installing it again just in case you have a corrupted file?

How is the data connected? Different cable perhaps? Clean connections?

Just a couple of suggestions from a distance

Have you tried un installing all the software and re installing it again just in case you have a corrupted file?

How is the data connected? Different cable perhaps? Clean connections?

No, I haven't tried re-installing the software but I have found my Asus netbook which was working - uses XP, but didn't give as good a display over TeamViewer, guess the video circuit couldn't cope.  I can try using that.  Probably check it out indoors on the NEQ6 first to make sure it's working.

The data uses the Hitecastro USB EQ Driect Interface as sold by FLO.  Consists of a cable with Ethernet type plug for the mount one end and a little box containing the works and integral USB plug on the other which I have current plugged straight into the laptop.  I suspect the current one I'm using and have a brand new and unused one from FLO.  But I want to make absolutely sure there isn't something blowing these before trying another new one.

Been thinking about what could cause intermittent dropping of the data connection. 

1. Bad connection or broken cable
  2. Interference
  3. Background software

3. seems to have been eliminated by the fact that it runs the NEQ6 fine.

2. Interference might be reduced by careful earthing arrangements as already covered.

1. The only one I haven't eliminated is the EQ Direct serial cable though I think this is unlikely as it's quite new.  May be worth taking the covers off the EQ8 and having a good poke about for poor connections or corrosion.

I decided that with the laptop running off its battery and the EQ8 running off PSU and SLA battery in parallel, there wasn't really anything to destroy the EQ Dir adapter.  But I did take a bit of care - I closed the laptop so that there was no power on the USB socket, plugged the USB in first then the serial to the mount.  Switched on the mount and opened up the laptop and set things going as before.  The serial cable is in a bundle underneath the laptop which is right beside the mount so less likely to pick up interference than spread out.

The laptop is showing just under two hours battery time left.

GONE again - after about half an hour :(

Really solid earthing might help but having eliminated the EQ Dir adapter and cable that leaves just the EQ8 itself really :(  The rain has come in now and it's windy too so I'll leave opening up the EQ8 until the weather is better.  It would be nice to be able to work on it indoors but getting it from the scope room into the house is no small problem.  There's steps and a very soff, muddy area of ground which is a mixture of scant grass and mole hills :(

I guess I could ask my very helpful neighbour if he could carry it in for me :D

The weather has taken an unexped turn for the better :)  The rain has stopped, the sun has come out and the wind has dropped too :)

Being as independent and pigheaded as usual I decided to try lifting the EQ8 myself :D  With its two nice comfortable handles and good balance it is actually much easier to handle than the NEQ6 even though it's heavier.  Took it in three stages - from scope room to bench in warm room, then out, across the grass (missing the mole hills) and into the lean-to greenhouse that forms a porch and onto a chair.  Finally, into the living roomand onto the table.

Had a good look at the control board and connections.  One small connector had come out but everything inside the casing looks "clean as a whistle".  The RJ45 connector contacts look a bit corroded so that could be the problem - a squirt of WD40 called for I think :D

Have the EQ8 set up on the table with power from my bench PSU and running at 13.2v and 1.3A with lunar tracking.  Laptop placed beside it using the new EQ Direct adapter.  Laptop running on mains power.  Now to see how long this works :D

Weather's turned bad again - wet and windy :(  Warm and dry indoors though :)

Still going - well over an hour now :)  I did clean the RJ45 contacts a bit and they were catching a bit, which I cleared.  I suppose, thinking about it, I should have just tested it without any servicing :D  Oh well...

Still going :)  Looks like the problem was simply a dirty RJ45 connector :grin:  RJ45 connectors were never designed for outdoor use and seems a poor design choice.  I would like to replace it with something waterproof (to keep dew out).  If the NEQ6 is anything to go by (and I would expect the connections to be the same) only 3 wires are needed - so why use a fragile 8 wire connector?  OR does the hand controller use more?

Good news at last Gina, what a battle!

EQ8 and Synscan need only four wires, GND, Vpp+, RX, TX.

Given the environment these mount are used in you would have thought perhaps some basic gold plating on the RJ45 pins?

William.

Archived